Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hand control for newer vehicles with electronic throttles

Hand control for newer vehicles with electronic throttles

I had tried to post this for someone in vB5 but the pictures failed, so I'll put it back up here.
    This is a hand control I fabricated for my 2006 VW Golf GTI w/DSG sequential automatic gearbox.
    Because the FBW (FlyByWire) throttle units use a pretty small sender in the accelerator pedal with only 6 wires to it, and because I had made a similar setup on a race car using Bowden cables, it was a no-brainer that I could greatly improve on the 90* hand controls I'd had in my pervious street cars. I plan on miniaturizing the throttle sensor and started to machine a delrin housing, but got lazy! I built what yoiu see in 06 and have used it ever since. Some day, I hope to complete making the tiny box with the throttle sensor in it as well as RJ32(?) connectors, and tagging it on the backside of the brake arm, out of sight and out of the way. The temporary setup with the long cable works fine, so WTF.
    Name:  IMG_0256.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  144.6 KBName:  IMG_0255.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  169.8 KBName:  IMG_0250.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  151.8 KBName:  IMG_0249.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  164.4 KBName:  IMG_0252.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  194.8 KBName:  IMG_0256.jpg
Size:  144.6 KB

I see the photos in the above post when I click on the links. Do you?? (vB5 would "post" pictures that only were seen on my machine but no one else saw.)
    I used the same procedure as in the below linked to post where the photo appears in the post.
    However, I posted another pic in the below linked ("#5" highlighted) post elsewhere and it appears a photo.
    Before posting the above, I tried attaching a photo to this post:#5
    That photo is beautiful and visible on my machine; how about yours?

Yep. photos show up fine. GREAT SETUP!

Thanks. Yes, it's very much improved over most commercial deals. The handle is well enough supported on the single vertical support tube for my worst abuse (and I do mean abuse!) but if it were for the general public, there should be a second support tube and a "bridge between them. That would be totally bulletproof. What's nice is how easily it is fitted. I only cut a 1" hole in the under-dash directly below one of the 4 M8/1.5 mounting screws for the cast aluminum upper steering column mounting plate; that screw was replaced with a section of M8 threaded rod which carries the complete control. The brake handle (coated with tool-dip and painted) and trottle handle are far enough from the wheel to pass your hand through the gap, but close enough to rest your palm on the (see worn off paint) top with elbow on armrest; and steer with thumb and forefinger while throttling with the others. Very restful after holding my arm up to use normal 90* controls! Of course, you can hold it like a pistol and squeeze the trigger/throttle as intended.
    I don't know why the pictures didn't post, but links posted 4 times! I don't know what happened to the edit function or I'd fix it. And I don't know why I'm a guest, or where my original fall 2013 posts about these controls went. Patience!

revisiting a botched post

Hopefully with pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

they're awfully big, but at least they're there!!

Here are pics of left/right details.
    Hanging from the brake push-rod, is the electronic throttle position sender module, hanging from a loop in it's connecting harness. Name:  IMG_0250.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  151.8 KB
    It is controlled by a bicycle brake lever that has the cable going through the steel tubing of the control, then branching out of the tubing to go to the throttle module.
    The module is simply the guts of a VW electronic throttle pedal with the bulk of it discarded/cut off, and a provision made to operate it with a bicycle brake cable.
    You can see a chrome toggle switch in the dashboard, on the left just below the hand control; this selects hand control (up) or foot control (down). I think it also is a good theft deterrent! Whenever an AB takes my car and leaves it in AB mode, I'll start it up and put it in R; it pulls pout of it's space with no throttle and all seems fine until I put it in D and give it throttle. It takes me a while to remember what the problem is; I expect a their would bail out before making any sense of it!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 04-23-2014 at 12:26 PM.

I never completed the panned control....

but here is a photo of the partially completed throttle position sensor that would be very tiny and would be attached to the back-side of the main part of the control, where it would be inconspicuous and well protected.Name:  IMG_0255.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  169.8 KB[

The area that is outlined in black is the swept area of the sensor. There is a little square of steel sheet metal on a plastic sled below the circuit-board, pulled by the throttle cable. There is ~1mm/.040" of air between the circuit-board and the little metal square; you can see how little the sender moves from idle to wide open throttle. Pretty neat stuff!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 04-23-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Just revisited these posts. Although ALL pictures are now shown, I wanted to edit it down so it only had the required ones and maybe made better sense, but I don't see an "Edit Post" option, like I was looking at someone else's post!!?

Moderators??

EDIT: but this recent post has that edit post function showing-which I am using to add this with now!

There is probably a time limit on how old of a post you can edit. I think I have run into that, or heard of that on other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Just revisited these posts. Although ALL pictures are now shown, I wanted to edit it down so it only had the required ones and maybe made better sense, but I don't see an "Edit Post" option, like I was looking at someone else's post!!?

Moderators??

EDIT: but this recent post has that edit post function showing-which I am using to add this with now!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

This is a very interesting concept - I don't completely understand whether the idea is to physically push the pedal sor to send an electronic signal further upstream. In either case I really like the simplicity of mechanical hand controls. This looks more complex and I worry about failures which could be life threatening