Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hand control for newer vehicles with electronic throttles

Reading their website I believe its a plug and play wiring deal piggybacking the existing harness/pedal.
    Last edited by Andy; 07-30-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: thought I'd keep some of my opinions to myself

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Reading their website I believe its a plug and play wiring deal piggybacking the existing harness/pedal.
    If they'd sell you the two connectors for the pedal plug, (especially the male; I had to make one out of that part of a pedal assy; the female/part of chassis wiring harness is readily available from your dealer or local junkyard), you could make up the entire electrical part without going near the car.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Totally. Maybe a research project to see if that weatherpack connector is some sort of standard designation/type and then order the pedal side of the connector with pigtails on it?

Seeing that new control with the rheostat on the lever got me thinking of a DIY device again, but to tell the truth, I like the minimalistic operation bar of standard controls. But I can see the purpose of such a thing with miniature cars nowadays, specifically the last gen Camaro comes to mind. Something like this would come in really handy for such cars if you just need to make a pole stick out from under the column to support the device.

Usually male connectors are extrusions on the component. Sometimes there are male connectors with harnessing, such as oxygen sensors, otherwise, fairly rare and IMO, unobtanium.
    NW NJ

So it would seem they went into some effort to make it a plug and play installation. An expensive solution to tap into 6 wires, lol.

While on that subject...I'm curious how tolerant the PCM is to switching pedal circuits. When you flip the selector switch on your setup with the car on, does it go into a limp-home mode, or is that momentary break ignored? I'm wondering if they are doing something more than a relay to switch this input

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    So it would seem they went into some effort to make it a plug and play installation. An expensive solution to tap into 6 wires, lol.

While on that subject...I'm curious how tolerant the PCM is to switching pedal circuits. When you flip the selector switch on your setup with the car on, does it go into a limp-home mode, or is that momentary break ignored?
    I was surprised and relieved to find that switching the sources when active (at idle) isn't a problem.
    One early problem: if I adjusted the throttle cable to the hand control sender to get full throttle, I could get a failure/limp mode scenario.
    The solution: measure the voltage of the throttle signal at WOT when foot sender is switched on, then adjust hand control sender to ~=foot sender.

If you do go into limp mode, pull over and do serial re-starts with throttle blips. The problem goes away after seeing OK parameters several times.
    NW NJ

Reassuring to know that the out of limits function, functions.

The most fun hand controls use a motorcycle throttle where you rotate the handle toward you for gas.
    Last edited by August West; 04-16-2018 at 03:33 PM.