Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Large animal trial for Chondroitinase is underway

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    And the uses go on and on.
    Here's a different use study done in pigs with orthopedic research ..

Inhibition of spinal fusion by use of a tissue ingrowth inhibitor.
    Zou X, Li H, Egund N, Lind M, Bunger C.
    Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Aarhus University Hosp, Aarhus, Denmark
    Eur Spine J. 2004 March; 13(2): 157-63.

Summary: In a single-level intertransverse arthrodesis model in pigs, Adcon gel mixed into autogenous bone graft was found to delay or decrease bone formation. This accords with the authors hypothesis that the use of Adcon gel can prevent the occurrence of spontaneous fusion in very young scoliosis patients.

so in theory it's best suited as a candidate for Acute injury ?Or am I missing something ?If so ,I have no invested interest .

For a long time I have been curious about something but have never said it :some people say that studying and treating Acute injury is good for the science and will help advance the work for chronic injuries and yadda yadda (insert another excuse for studying Acute injury ), but how exactly does focusing on Acute injury in any way similar to treating a chronic injury ?Doesn't it become an Entirely different animal ?And should totally be treated as such ,and chronic injury should be in it's own lane?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    so in theory it's best suited as a candidate for Acute injury?
    Are you talking about the Chondroitinase large animal trial or the derailed off subject of carbohydrate polymer gel for anti-adhesion?

Yes ,I meant the carbohydrate gel in my question but my premis was to hilight that age old question about chronic research v.s Acute research ,the stigma has long been that Acute injury research helps chronic cure research as well ,and I believed it but was a little skeptical .I don't see it panning out that way,I see them as being two Entirely different animals that need two different approaches

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Yes ,I meant the carbohydrate gel in my question but my premis was to hilight that age old question about chronic research v.s Acute research ,the stigma has long been that Acute injury research helps chronic cure research as well ,and I believed it but was a little skeptical .I don't see it panning out that way,I see them as being two Entirely different animals that need two different approaches
    So, as you can see by reading through the ADCON gel human clinical summaries, this anti-adhesion drug is being used in acute applications as well as chronic applications with many different medical problems being addressed for people. In the animal studies leading up to taking this to market, one can see that a multitude of factors were considered and researched. It didn't lead to a therapy only being brought to market for a single lane patient therapy for mankind. I'm not sure how one would enter a chronic vs. acute debate with the product since it didn't stay in a "chronic lane". It appears that mankind has benefited from it at multiple time points due to the animal research.

Drs. Kuhn, Hofmann, Knitelius, Coenen, Bewermeyer, Ronnberg, Lind, Zoega, Gadeholt-Gothlin, Halldin, Gellerstedt, Brisby, Le, Rogers, Dawson, Kropf, De Grange, Delamarter, Kim, and Lim found evidence that in humans monitored at long post operative time points, ADCON is ineffective and sometimes hazardous.

Here (link) is Dr. Craig Rabb:

Indeed, an antiadhesion agent not only was studied but also found its way to approval for use in the United States. In 1998, Adcon-L was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. I, for one, was quick to embrace it. Subsequent studies provided mixed reviews as to the benefit to patients [2] and [3]. Case reports surfaced of patients experiencing cerebrospinal fluid leaks postoperatively when none were noted intraoperatively [4]. My own experience witnessed an increase in the incidence of recurrent disc herniation, presumably due to lack of scar to seal the annulus (although it clearly reduced adhesions/fibrosis on reoperation). In 2001, Gliatech, the company that brought the product to the market, declared bankruptcy, and Adcon-L is no longer available in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    As usual you have no idea what you are talking about and, also as usual, you like to highlight only the negative. A complication with ADCON can occur when surgeons inadvertently puncture the dura when they perform discectomies. The product works so well that it inhibits the natural scarring process that would usually close small dural leaks. ADCON is being marketed by a company called BiosCompass. They are a wonderful group of people who recently acquired the rights to ADCON and they are committed to bringing a highly beneficial product back to the US market. ADCON works wonderfully well to prevent painful peripheral nerve adhesive entrapments, disfiguring and painful scarring between the skin and underlying structures after deep lacerations, tracheotomies etc (see British Journal paper), abdominal adhesions, pelvic adhesions and adhesions around implants. It works to prevent a devastating condition known as failed back syndrome that can develop after discectomies. And the uses go on and on. Anybody reading this post and knows of someone suffering with pain due to adhesion formation anywhere in the body should contact BiosCompass because they can possibly help with FDA compassionate use.
    Last edited by crabbyshark; 03-24-2014 at 03:10 AM.

If Craig Rabb presumes that it's best to just leave the scar and tethering around a disc hernia for holding it in place to seal the annulus then he won't be using a new and only known drug for disc hernia "pain" shown here either.

http://www.seikagaku.co.jp/english/pdf/118.pdf

The generic name "Condoliase" is basically Chondroitinase.
    http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/do...condoliase.pdf

Here's the new Phase 3 trial starting just late last month in the USA:
    http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...SI-6603&rank=3
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 03-26-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    If Craig Rabb presumes that it's best to leave the scar and tethering around a disc hernia to hold it in place for sealing the annulus then he won't be using other new drugs for disc hernia pain either.

http://www.seikagaku.co.jp/english/pdf/118.pdf

The generic name "Condoliase" is basically Chondroitinase.

Here's the new Phase 3 trial starting just late last month in the USA:
    http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...SI-6603&rank=3

Let's say this phase 3 trial proves effective,will that help move trials faster for it if they test it for another application such as Spinal cord injury .....actually do you know if this company has an interest in sci?Just wondering

Let's say this phase 3 trial proves effective,will that help move trials faster for it if they test it for another application such as Spinal cord injury .....actually do you know if this company has an interest in sci?Just wondering
    Safety is one thing and efficacy is another, but I think the results would help. The last I talked to them they just wanted to focus and make it through the disc hernia trials since they only had money to run one clinical trial at a time and they were already running disc hernia. I don't know if they'd be considering SCI next or not.

They've proven safety in the Phase 1 & 2 in Japan and completed a Phase 3 there. The Phase 3 starting here is a 1.25U, intradiscal injection, one time that's testing for pain in disc hernia.

What we're looking for in SCI is different. Spinal Research is funding the large animal studies in Ames Iowa and potentially looking at delivery and efficacy. These types of studies would be necessary in making critical decisions about going into human trials for a SCI.