Thread: Sometimes I'm fine and sometimes I feel the grief

Sometimes I'm fine and sometimes I feel the grief

For me SCI has been a journey of processing grief, as well as working hard physically and mentally to learn how to live happy and healthy in spite of it. Seems like I may feel it more than some others here, but we are all different and that's OK. I was 43 when I was injured so I had a lot of living pre SCI. Its been 10 years now and I am happy and have pressed on to find a full life, but sometimes it still hits me expectantly. I was sorting old family photos today while it was snowing outside and found one of me tromping through the snow. One thing I've learned to do from counseling is to give myself a few minutes to process my feelings and then it actually passes more quickly. Writing stories on my blog has also become a good way for me to process it and find my joy again and hopefully, along the way, help others feel like they're not alone.

http://laughwithmecrywithme.com/i-ju...ing-up-a-hill/

My son was injured in '04 and my grief is always just beneath the surface. I can only imagine your grief, his grief, and all those affected by a sci. A spinal cord injury SUCKS! All any of us can do is to keep moving forward as best we can. I really like the idea of giving yourself a few minutes to process your feelings, it does work.

Mombo, I know exactly what you are talking about. My son was injured in 02 @ age 17. NO matter where I am what I am doing or how much "fun" I am having, there is just no escape. Knowing that my son is heart broken makes me deeply sad. I can only imagine what it must be like to live with SCI.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Hi there Darlagee - I was injured in 2002 and we are both in the same boat re: incompleteness , injured later in life (I was 45) ,and chronic neuropathic pain. I have looked at your blog. I agree, the grief and loss hits daily, but goes away quickly enough if you allow yourself to momentarily embrace it to still make this a worthwhile journey ( also there is no other journey available !)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    For me SCI has been a journey of processing grief, as well as working hard physically and mentally to learn how to live happy and healthy in spite of it. Seems like I may feel it more than some others here, but we are all different and that's OK. I was 43 when I was injured so I had a lot of living pre SCI. Its been 10 years now and I am happy and have pressed on to find a full life, but sometimes it still hits me expectantly. I was sorting old family photos today while it was snowing outside and found one of me tromping through the snow. One thing I've learned to do from counseling is to give myself a few minutes to process my feelings and then it actually passes more quickly. Writing stories on my blog has also become a good way for me to process it and find my joy again and hopefully, along the way, help others feel like they're not alone.

http://laughwithmecrywithme.com/i-ju...ing-up-a-hill/
    So you wish we read the drivel you write so you can process your grief..............................

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    So you wish we read the drivel you write so you can process your grief..............................
    I see you are still stuck in the denial and anger stages. You might try some counseling. Darla writes both for herself and, if you find it helpful to know others deal with this crap, to possibly help others. I suggest you keep your writing critiques to yourself unless you'd like your postings proofed by an English professor in the future. Play nice or don't play at all, Tim.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Tim C
    No we wish to read hear drivel so we can help process are own grief.
    Thanks for your posts darlagee22, you have a keen mind.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

good read....

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Tim C
    No we wish to read hear drivel so we can help process are own grief.
    Thanks for your posts darlagee22, you have a keen mind.
    Well said. I thoroughly enjoy your blog and insights darlagee22.

Blog Entries
    I'm finding it incredibly difficult to stare down and accept how my hands remain frozen in-place from my spinal injury nearly 12 years ago. Despite how I try each day I cannot budge my fingers as they sit curled, to resemble a fist, or to grab onto a wrench or screwdriver.