Thread: RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman

RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Only 46...apparently drug related. Such a waste of a great talent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/mo...t-46.html?_r=0

(KLD)

Yeah, I was surprised when I saw that on Yahoo this afternoon. Great actor... didn't know about his heroin problem though. SMH

Clean for 23yrs. Slipped up in 2012 and hit rehab last May. Apparently didn't work. I'll miss his work .. guess they'll have to replace him in The Hunger Games - Mockingjay.

I remember seeing Phillip Seymour Hoffman in probably his first feature film role as George Willis, Jr (an easy to dislike character) in Scent of a Woman (Al Pacino and Chris O'Donnell). While not outstanding in that role, he grew in his craft to arguably more critical acclaim than his fellow actor and peer, Chris O'Donnell.

He was outstanding in Capote.

All the best,
    GJ

PSH was indeed a very talented actor, and one who need not rely on his looks. He managed to portray individuals who were very complex characters masterfully. I don't think his death diminishes this. Addictions are very much part of our landscape, including celebrities. Addictions are a force of their own and those who are victims pay dearly.

The problematic thing about being a very successful actor is that you are so well off you can afford more than enough heroin to kill yourself and along with that lots of free time hours between roles to somehow fill.