Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CASTERS !! manual chair - Like/Dislike recommendations. what are you running?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

CASTERS !! manual chair - Like/Dislike recommendations. what are you running?

I'm in need of some new casters. Just wondering what everyone is running. What they've had issues with etc.
    What do you like and recommend ?

Anybody identify these? They run well but use a non-standard bearing, so haven't been able to change the bearings, end up taking them apart and cleaning them.
    When I say non-standard, they have an extra piece which is press fitted to the bearing, that I can't get off, and if I did I'd never get it onto a fresh bearing, kind of a spacer I guess.

Blog Entries
    They may be the TiLite softrolls. I use 5" x 1.4" Froglegs Softrolls. They are large enough to not drop into many cracks, and give a softer ride. They use standard bearings. I also use Froglegs Unitines forks. They are very rugged, good looking, and make changing bearings a 2 minute job.

To reduce annoying flutter, I switched from the standard Tilite 6x1.4" aluminum hub SoftRoll casters to FrogLegs 5x1.4" aluminum hub Epic SoftRolls (http://www.froglegsinc.com/collectio...-wheel-5-x-1-4).

Blog Entries
    Those are the stock casters that came with the Marvel. Made by them, at the time, iirc. Not an available product, any longer, I don't think, unless someone is still selling them. I might still have the set I pulled off my Marvel, in my parts bin. Swapped them day one for Frog Legs, which perform much better, IMO. If I have them I could send them to you. I recommend FL, though.

5" x 1.5" PLASTIC W/POLY CASTERS, they roll great on rough surface down the hill

I liked them well enough. If you have no use for them I'd use them.. the pair I have now have worn out the tires. The bearings on them are pretty good, like I said was unable to change them, but was able to take them apart and clean them and re-assemble them.

I prefer the

For the only reason you can take the wheel apart and put the tire back on, when it gets caught in gaps in the concrete and the tire gets ripped off the wheel. This has happened to me on numerous occasions and it's pretty much impossible for me to get the tire back onto the wheel unassisted.
    This happened to me with nearly all the casters I have had including the ti-lite soft rolls.

Wondering are ti-lite soft rolls made by ti-lite or just re-badged from someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss
    5" x 1.5" PLASTIC W/POLY CASTERS, they roll great on rough surface down the hill

http://www.froglegsinc.com/collections/wheels

So FrogLeg soft rolls.

Hypothetically if you weren't worried about the adjustment you would have to make to your chair, what would you run as an outside caster ?

Narrow or Wide?

3" , 4", 5" or 6" diameter?

6" and Wide, would seem to make the most sense, but then what do people find happens in Real Life?

Of course they don't look so cool! 6" * 2"

not like the 6" *1.4"

OH!!! they come in a bunch for pretty colors. who knew :)

Blog Entries
    5", 1.5"wide is my overall performance favorite. If I'm off the tarmac I'm on a Freewheel, but, 5" FL works well everywhere and barely out weighs the 4" since the latest change to the hub milling pattern a few years back.

Frog Legs, my son loves them.