Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permobil Corpus Seating

Permobil Corpus Seating

This message is really aimed at all of those people who own Permobil power wheelchairs, especially the corpus 500 which is what I have. Have you got the seating at its maximum depth? According to the instructions, the seat depth well size from 17 inches, up to 21 inches, adjusting in 1 inch increments. At the moment, I think mine is on around 19 inches which may be why I have been having problems with high pressures on my Roho. Basically, I haven't got a life support under my thighs, so I think a lot of the pressure which would normally be taken up by the heavy part of your legs, is being redirected to my backside, especially the sit bones. I'm in bed at the moment just finishing off healing as for that I developed recently. Everything is basically healed, I just want to make sure it's completely healed before I get up again, probably another week, two weeks at the most. I'm just a little worried that my Roho won't fit the chair once I have altered the seating, we'll just have to wait and see.

I do not know what the seat setting is on my Corpus but my cushion size is 17.75" x 18.5". I am 6' 1" and the end of the cushion is about 1" back from where my knee bend starts. Can you lower your footrests? That is how I adjust my chair to get my legs to rest correctly on the cushion. We lower them until there is just a slight amount of pressure between the footrest and my shoes.

There is definitely more of a Gap between the back of my knee and my Roho. Assuming that your Roho is placed right at the front of the seats, you must have a gap behind the Roho? How about your legs, are they very wrong? I have not measured myself in 28 years, but I was 6 foot two when I was 16 at the time of my accident.

I have an M300 with corpus seating and I had to get a depth extension added on. My manual chair is 18" depth but the max on the M300 wasn't nearly enough. The base for the seating runs way more shallow than they let on. That was just my experience. If you have full power positioning, you can play around with tilt and leg rest height to help balance better and relieve pressure until you get a permanent solution. This is what I have had to do.

I checked my cushion placement last night when I got out of the chair. The front of the cushion is where the legrest hinges begin. The back of my Roho extends back under my Corpus seatback about 1".

I've had a look at the specifications for my chair which is the Corpus 500 and it clearly states that the seat is adjustable both by width, and by depth.. You're supposed to be able to alter it in 1 inch increments. The depth of the seat at a minimum am will be 17 inches, you can alter it to a maximum of 22 inches. At the moment mine is about 19 inches which is obviously a little bit too short for my long legs. But finding information on how to extend the seating is proving rather difficult.

The steps to lengthen the seat base are described in the Corpus 3G seating service manual: http://www.permobilus.com/manuals/75.pdf

Looks like an extension of the seat depth could require changing out the seat pan and/or side rails.

I think the unit of measurement that Permobil uses to measure seat depths on Corpus 3G systems must be "Swedish Inches". To convert them to conventional "US Inches", simply subtract 1.25". The reason for this has to do with the fact that the Corpus Ergo back pan is actually mounted a little over an inch in front of the shear plate (the landmark they use for that dimension). The ABS plastic shell on the previous Corpus II system ran all the way down to the seat rail and could only be measured accurately if the back angle was 90 degrees. ​If your chair has an older C3G system, there are only 2 possible seat depths (unless the depth is maxed at 22" which supposedly can't be shortened). The odd numbered depth will be the longest (e.g. 16-17, 18-19, 20-21, and just 22). If the socket head cap screw is already in the rear hole of the UniTrack seat rail, longer rails will be needed to increase the depth. Older style... If your chair is just a few months old, then your Corpus 3G system can be adjusted to 1 of 3 possible depths "package". The specific depths depend on which of 3 "packages"they used when they built the chair. The ranges of adjustment are either 14-16, 17-19", or 20-22". Newer style...

I think the unit of measurement that Permobil uses to measure seat depths on Corpus 3G systems must be "Swedish Inches". To convert them to conventional "US Inches", simply subtract 1.25". The reason for this has to do with the fact that the Corpus Ergo back pan is actually mounted a little over an inch in front of the shear plate which is the landmark they use for that dimension.

If the socket head cap screw is in the rearmost hols, then it will not be possible to increase the seat depth without a longer pair of UniTrack rails for the sides of the seat frame. .

‹If your chair has an older C3G system, there are only 2 possible seat depths (unless the depth is 22" which supposedly can't be adsjusted). The odd number depth will be the longest (e.g. 16-17, 18-19, 20-21, and just 22). . . .

Older style... .

. . .

If your chair is only a few months old, then your Corpus 3G system can be adjusted to 1 of 3 possible depths "package". The specific depths depend on which of 3"packages was used on your chair. The ranges of adjustment are either 14-16, 17-19", or 20-22". . .

‹Newer style..

Thanks guys, not sure why I couldn't find the seating manual, oh well I've got what I need now. Hopefully that extra few inches will make the difference. If you think about it if you were to set on a narrow seat with legs not really supported,pressure is going to be directed more towards the parts of the body that is in direct contact with the seat. However, increasing the surface area of the seating should dissipate that pressure. That's my hope anyway. Only problem, I think I might have to get myself a new Roho