Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good handcycle for a quad?

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder

Good handcycle for a quad?

I don't have SCI but I am similar to a low level quad. I desperately need to get physical activity back into my life. I have a Theracycle at home, but I think part of my problem making exercise a habit is I get bored with just a stationary bike. We live on a really rough dirt road and the old arm push tricycle I had when I lived near a level bike path is just to hard for me to get up even a small incline. I miss biking terribly. Are there handcycles with gears that would allow someone with less than normal upper body strength to get up the hills on the average bike path? I will probably need to find a used one as I am a working artist and don't make tons of money.

absolutely. we [bike-on.com] make the quad elite line for us (quads). I race and test everything before we release it. im a c4-5 quad functioning at c6. send me a note john@bike-on.com or a call
    ~~1-888-424-5366 x103

Excellent! Love your website, so many exciting things there! I live on a bumpy dirt road with hills, but I would also want to take it to some towns near here with paved bike paths. Are there handcycles that can do both? I miss living near nice bike paths.

sure are. i'll walk you through.

Fuentes is the man when it comes to handcycles. I use a Roadrace Powerpod to help with the hills and faster rides with my a/b friends. I like it as it is portable. When I want to ride without power, it takes about 30 seconds to disconnect and I'm in my lightweight handcycle. If I want to go for a long ride with a/b friends doing 15mph plus, I just attach the powerpod.

If you are considering going with any type of powered front wheel, remember that added weight is with you whether it's being used or not.

I also ride hilly, rough roads where I live. I changed my wheels to a 559c so I could put on a high pressure durable tire to combat all the flats I was getting riding on a 650c racing tire. Haven't had a flat since. Am using the 559c Marathon Plus wheelchair tire.

Congrats on considering a handcycle, it'll be one of the best choices a person can make to maximise their potential. It is addicting for sure.

See, I had no idea there was a power adapter, I wonder if it could be used on the hand powered trike I have.....off to research....

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafino View Post
    See, I had no idea there was a power adapter, I wonder if it could be used on the hand powered trike I have.....off to research....

what about this wheel added to a handcycle? http://www.flykly.com/smart-wheel. I think this looks real peromising.

Where in SW Colorado are you? Take a trip up to Crested Butte and connect with Jake @ ReActive Adaptations. He builds an offroad handcycle that works real well for quads... super nice guy & he'll be more than happy to take you out on a ride.

http://www.reactiveadaptations.com/

Horizon adaptive, all-terrain e-trike speeds over pavement and dirt

Not sure if this is the same company for this bike as i really like it. The more competition the better price and product. This trike is pretty cool i would love to buy the hand cycle + electric option.

http://www.gizmag.com/horizon-adapti...6f6d6-91277401

Mooner
    Last edited by Mooner99; 03-31-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: forgot link

Nice bike..how much is this one.
    Louie Gonzalez
    C6 C7