Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New post about the Epidural Stimulation

So i spoke with somebody regards epi stim. They are supposed to take 30 more patients where 15 of them would be quads and 15 paras. They will start with 5 or 6 patients at the time where it would include half quads and half paras. As far as return of bladder bowel and sexual function it is verified that those remain fully functional after stim is turned off. It includes feeling of needing when to go although it does not include "regular" sensation. That's all I got. I will get contact information to get included in the trial maybe on of you guys will be able to get in.

wesmaister as i have injury at L1 so can i take part in trial? I can walk easily but have lost bladder bowel sexual function only.

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister
    So i spoke with somebody regards epi stim. They are supposed to take 30 more patients where 15 of them would be quads and 15 paras. They will start with 5 or 6 patients at the time where it would include half quads and half paras. As far as return of bladder bowel and sexual function it is verified that those remain fully functional after stim is turned off. It includes feeling of needing when to go although it does not include "regular" sensation. That's all I got. I will get contact information to get included in the trial maybe on of you guys will be able to get in.
    Thanks alot for the information. And yes, please post the contact information. Do they have a time frame in which they would like to start the trial?
    Also do you know, or maybe someone else does, of any information on the actual procedure of implanting the epi system? Thanks again.

Lol I'm still lost in the whole meaning of sexual function thing when it comes to US

Jawaid they are taking all levels of injury as longest you respond to stim to some degree. I think epi stim would be able to wake up those functions as it did even in complete injuries but it's just a guess from me.

I think they're currently recruiting for phase II as phase I is done. I will post the info once i get it.

Epi stim woke up dormant functions of sacral nerves as far as bowel, bladder & sexual function. It not regular feeling but rather feeling of needing when to go and being able to. So when you're aroused youll be able to perform and ejaculate with feeling of orgasm.

Okkk got it thanks

Can someone explain a little about how the stimulator is stimulating? :)

Quote Originally Posted by topperf
    Can someone explain a little about how the stimulator is stimulating? :)
    From what I understand, the stimulator doesn't actually cause any muscle contractions or illicit sensory feelings. What the stimulator does is leave the spinal interneurons it is connected to in a more excited state. That way, the interneurons can receive input either from the brain or the body, and know what to do with them.