Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New post about the Epidural Stimulation

New post about the Epidural Stimulation

What I read here has really surprised me. I can some what wrap my brain around the voluntary movement when the stimulation is on but B,B & SF return? Doesn't even seem possible. That has excited me about this Epidural stim a whole lot more.

[SIZE=12px]"...So far, four patients have been fitted with epidural stimulators. While the data have not yet been published, all four have shown similar patterns of recovery: they can step when the stim is on; they have gained voluntary control of ankle, knee and hip movement. They all gained muscle mass, improved cardiovascular function and were able stand with no assistance with the stimulator on."

"All ASIA A – that means no ability to move any muscles below the lesion level. All got meaningful recovery – not walking per se but autonomic improvement, including bowel, bladder, sexual function and for the one quad of the bunch, an important gain in temperature regulation."[/SIZE]

http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysi...ch-progressing

All those gains were reported with the first person who received an epidural stimulator. Its good to see the trend continue. Hopefully this will lead to a stimulator specifically designed for SCIs, as right now they are just playing with the parameters on an epidural stimulator designed for neuropathic pain!

I attend therapy where the PT's often traveled to KY. They are also involved CRDF so they have a lot of information. They said phase II trial will include 20 patients.

Hope bladder bowel sexual recovery in chronic lower injuries too with this therapy.

Do you know a time frame on that trial? I also wonder if they have considered a stem cell therapy to go along with it?

I keep seeing ppl talk about sexual function return. What exactly is dose that mean? They can feel in that area, ejaculate or get hard on there own with out ed pills

I have not heard much more. Ill try to get some contact info and get some more info.

Quote Originally Posted by cable guy
    I keep seeing ppl talk about sexual function return. What exactly is dose that mean? They can feel in that area, ejaculate or get hard on there own with out ed pills
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. IMO that would need to involve sensory return. Same with bowl and bladder. How could one "control it" or "hold it" if they cant feel if they have the need to go or not. An educated explanation would be nice.
    Does anyone know of an incomplete that can go to the bathroom normally but does not have any feeling?

I'm curious whether there is a central pattern generator for the upper limbs. For when we walk, our arms naturally sway back and forth – this appears to be unconscious and perhaps something built into the spinal cord. Getting back hand functions for cervical spine cord injury seems like a harder task than walking.