Thread: Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution vs Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution vs Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Does anyone know the difference between Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution and Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires? The description sounds the same. I need to get some new tires that are 1 3/8" and it looks like that size is only available on the Marathon Plus.

No Title

I'm guessing the difference is Black'n'Roll (non-marking rubber compound). I suspect the MP description is incorrect (non-marking claim) because MP does not have the Black'n'Roll banner. I have MPEs, and they are definitely non-marking.

I push on top of the tire and the tread really are hard on a persons hands'

Thanks guys. Chasmengr I was thinking the same thing that the description might be wrong. Patrick are you saying their is more tread on the MP's?

Here's an email response that I received from Schwalbe about the difference between the two tires:

The "Marathon Plus" is the Grey/Black color scheme, with Grey tread and black sidewall. The "Marathon Plus EVO (or 'Evolution') is an all-black color tire, black tread and sidewall. That's really the only main difference. The Black tread of the EVO version is non-marking, and they do say it lasts a bit longer than the Grey version.

No Title

If this picture helps, the Evolutions are on the left (they are in fact black, just covered in snow salt stuff...black does look neat, if you don't factor in winter). I got the Marathon Plus on my other set on the right. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that they are all black. No markings yet and the threads look identical. I can't comment on how much the Evolutions last compared though. I do know they beat the squeaky right runs for sure.

Thank you very much for the additional help and pictures that was very helpful tauble and twist ties

The tread is really hard and deep. It may smooth out as they get worn but for me, the tread felt hard and sharp when pushing. I have the 1x559 on my handcycle and they are bullet proof.

Thanks for sharing that email, it really helps me understand. I've always been confused but Schwalbe's naming of their tires.