Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy/New parents

Pregnancy/New parents

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not. I think there should be a forum just on this topic.... Anyway, I am 4 years post (exactly today), t-2 complete. I had two children already 16 and 7 years old, and I am currently 15 weeks pregnant. I really want to talk to people who have been pregnant with sci about their experiences both with the pregnancy and delivery, but also with caring for an infant. I have scoured the internet looking for assistive devices related to caring for infants, but have found VERY little. Anyone who wants to talk about these subjects, please post or feel free to message me. I am excited, anxious, and pretty worried about taking care of this little person afterwards.

You are right- there is little out there. I would encourage you to look at UC at Berkley's website. I am blanking on the name of the program, but they have a whole site on pregnancy, and child caring for women who are disabled. I am going to see if I can find a couple of people who might be willing to speak with you through the internet who have already gone through this. Congratulations! And good idea about the planning. CKF

I will look there. Thank you so much!

Wow, thank you! I will start looking at those right away. I never could find anything on the UC Berkeley site...... I am still also looking for anyone with experience who wants to talk.

Have a couple of emails out to friends who might be willing to talk. Have not heard back yet, but will let you know if I find someone. CKF

There are some threads in the Family forum, but I would be happy to share some of my experiences, adaptations, etc. I am a c6 quad, 23 years post with a 7 year old daughter. Email or PRivate message me with what you might be wondering.

I'm a C6/7 quad and currently 34 weeks pregnant. I came to carecure looking to find some information as well. It seems like I've read that women with SCI and AD usually get induced around the 37 or 38 week mark but my doctors are being pretty stubborn about trying to go to 39 weeks. Alissa, did you make it to 39 weeks when you had your little one? I'm concerned about AD and also how my mitrofanoff is going to hold up over these next several weeks. I'll look through some old posts to see if my questions can be answered that way but also may message you. Gothgirl I would share my experiences with you up until this point as well but probably won't be as much help as ladies who have given birth and cared for an infant. I did recently find a woman quad who has a blog and youtube videos about her pregnancy and caring for her infant, her blog is megjohnsonspeaks.com and you can find links to her videos there.

i am a c 5/6 quad for 26 years and mom to 6 year old twin boys. happy to help in anyway i can. loved through the looking glass for getting ideas on crib modifications and other stuff.
    suzq - i have had absolutely no issues with my mitrofanoff. only issues were with the nurses in the hospital not quite understanding how it worked.

feel free to pm or ask here with any questions i can help with. and your baby will quickly learn to work within your limitations. good luck!!

I blog about my experience
    L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
    ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
    Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
    The Wheelchair Mommy Blog