Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed rest exercise?

Bed rest exercise?

Hi, I have a very large mole that has developed into cancer. The mole will be removed on the 30th and a decent size cut will be made. The have to cut outside of the parameter of the mole to ensure the get it all and it will be semi deep. Stitches inside and out. I'll have to be in the bed while it heals because its on the back of my thigh about 2 inches below my butt cheek. I workout 5 days a week and focus on cardio and strength toning in my arms. What are some exercises I can do while laying down for about 2 weeks? Resources? Equipment? Routines?

Wrist or small hand weights can be used in bed. Theraband can be used in bed (attach it to the side rails or trapeze). Will you be in the hospital for this bedrest? Can you get a prone gurney? Pushing a prone gurney keeps up your cardio as well as strength. Ask for a PT and/or OT consult before you have your surgery if possible, and ask them to set you up with a program you can do safely in bed. They may also be able to loan you or order you some equipment for this.

(KLD)

KLD has given excellent advice and I have nothing to add, but just want to say how glad I am that you discovered the mole and it's soon to be a thing of the past! Best wishes on your surgery and for a quick recovery!

Sending you wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Thank you guys for the well wishes. KLD, I'll be doing bed rest at home. I have some 5 & 8 pound hand weights I can use for strength and the burn machine for cardio. I bought some 3 pound wrist weights and used them in bed last night to punch the air and a few other arm movements. I think I'll be able to keep up with my regular routine for a couple of weeks with all of those. I got a fit bit for Christmas and will use it to measure my movements while in bed. Thank you for the suggestions.

Don't forget that isometrics are a great way to exercise without moving a lot. Good luck.

I don't know how high your bed is off the ground but mine is fairly low (I just have the boxspring sitting on the floor). That allows me to position my body so it is half off the bed and do pushups. If the mole is on the back of your thigh you should be able to do the same thing.

That sounds like a great exercise T8. My bed is pretty tall though. About 6 inches taller than the seat of my chair. My mattress is pretty firm so I can probably do a version of push ups in bed. Thanks for the tip.

All great ideas - I will throw in one more that I really like if you can do it. "supermans" lying on your stomach. All you have to do is try to lift your head and all your extension back musculature contracts (assuming you have these). It is a really slight almost isometric movement. Kind a like crunches for your back paraspinus muscles. There is a ton of stuff to do in bed - while watching netflix !!

Heal quickly Offroaderswife!
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child