Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear ended and already injured. What to do?

Neurosurgeon says it is now a 4 level ACDF. WTF?? I am calling attorneys today.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Mine has already disavowed any responsibility because I have only liability. ( typical A-holes)
    Curious, but why would that make them A-holes?

Neurosurgeon says it is now a 4 level ACDF. WTF?? I am calling attorneys today.
    Wow, so sorry to hear that. Hope you get exactly the help you need pronto, both physically and legally.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Right now it is all in limbo. I was scheduled for the surgery tomorrow, but they put it off for a month because the doctor had a family emergency. I can go a little longer I guess. I got the estimates for my car and the other insurance company gave me a partial check and I can get it fixed anywhere I choose and they will pay the balance, plus get me a rental car for three days. I have a brother in the auto body business (for forty years) and I will see what he says about it all. I might just pay him to do the repairs for me. The insurance company is trying to pass of an inferior hitch to the class IV that is on the car. Not gonna happen.

My insurance company sent me to one of their doctors (a neurosurgeon) for his opinion of the facts. There is no denying that there is a lot of damage to the nerves in my arms (he didn't even look at or test my legs, but that is another story) and that there is a need for the surgery. I've had a lot of neuro tests and exams before, but this was not one of the best I have been through. He was clearly faking it. I had to drive to Portland from Eugene for the tests. That is a 240 mile round trip door to door. I got to pay for that.

I'm in no big rush.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Curious, but why would that make them A-holes?
    Just me lashing out. I'm just pissed.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

What a frustrating and scary set of circumstances. I really wish you had legal counsel to help steer you through all of this…maybe you already do, as of now. It's such a lot to have on your plate.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Don't wait, Skippy. It can be a really bad idea. Your neurosurgeon is likely in a group practice and there will be other docs there. Get the names of these guys and gals. Do your research on their credentials, ages, previous litigation against any. Try to have the surgery ASAP with a really good neurosurgeon. A lot of damage can happen in a month. I was worse in the single week the MRI pics were misplaced by the MRI center in '93. Once my neurologist had the actual pics, I was routed that day to the neuorsurgeon for near immediate surgery.

If you have a power chair or access to, use it. Use caution with any transfers as a fall is not what you need. Avoid being in a car unless it is for the doc or hospital. Another wreck could cause your cord even more damage.

I was told to refrain from looking down or moving my head until surgery. You say you have more pain if you are not hunched. Try to avoid whatever sudden or painful movements you are capable of making.

Take good care of yourself. Lawyer up now if you have not already. It sounds as though you need it. Also, you may wish to stop posting info about the wreck and your injuries as it could hurt any case you may have. Don't sign anything and don't offer info to the woman's insurance reps. You will be recorded and even innocuous comments can be taken out of context and used against you. Have your attorney serve as the contact point between you and the insurance company.

Do everything that's been said about getting the report, and a lawyer. But do proceed with medical issues. Medicare will go after reimbursement, I think. Once or twice a year I receive a form from them and I think it's because of going to the pain clinic, it has a place on it asking if my visit is due to an injury and other questions about it. Would they be like Medicaid and try to take any kind of settlement you might receive? Or just the amount that they provided. I hope all is well Skippy.

Just me lashing out. I'm just pissed.
    Gotcha, it sounded like you were mad at them because you were expecting your auto insurance company to help you out and handle things for you.