Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear ended and already injured. What to do?

I just went to the Neuro doc and he says I have to have surgery and is getting me a referral.

Effing figures.

Geico is calling me daily to get me to file papers so they can proceed to offer a settlement and they are/were eager to do that before I even got the medical results. I guess I will have to wait now to see how this runs out.

I just cannot believe the mess this has caused, but it is going to cost them bigger than I originally thought.

if you go through this without a good personal injury lawyer, you are setting yourself up to be screwed big time.

Skippy, I know you hate the idea of getting a lawyer, but this is really complicated and it would be extraordinarily unwise for you to deal with Geico by yourself. As a corporation, Geico serves its own interests, not yours. I totally agree with what others here have said - don't speak to any Geico rep (except to say "My attorney will be in touch with you"). Your car insurance carrier might be able to refer you an attorney experienced in personal injury law, if you don't know one; or check with the American Bar Association office in the state where you live. Lawyer up yesterday.

Skippy this happened to us in 2010. Get a lawyer on it. I did the 911 to the nearest hospital and USAA was all over it for us. You should see a scummy lawyer. They have their uses. I hurt for months afterward both neck and lower back and had a CT and X-rays.

I'm getting out the phone book and calling a lawyer tomorrow. Thanks for all the good advice, folks.

That's great, Skippy - as Sue says, they have their uses and this is definitely one of those times.

wow, that sucks you got rear ended.

I'm going to have to wait on the lawyer. I just got a call to go see the neurosurgeon on Monday. Medical takes priority right now. I called a couple of attorneys today and got the run around and hemming and hawing about a possible case. Was not encouraging. Guess they think it is too minor. Maybe for them, but not for me. I'm looking at a c6/7 fusion.

If your need for the fusion can be shown to be a direct result of the collision (caused by a texting driver), Geico will be responsible for the lion's share of your expenses. A personal injury lawyer's job is to amass the data required to establish your claims; he or she would act as your representative in all dealings and settlement negotiations with Geico. You will only owe the attorney a percentage of the insurance settlement, so you won't be out-of-pocket - that can be discussed at your initial consultation, which is usually free of charge.

It seems to me that now is the peak moment to secure legal services, as you are in talks with a neurosurgeon about the need for surgery and rehabilitation; after your appointment with the neurosurgeon on Monday, you'll have more information to impart to prospective attorneys.

I know this is an incredibly stressful time for you, and whatever you end up doing, I wish you the very best!

Call your insurance company and ask who they recommend. Most insurance companies signed onto an agreement of sorts a few years back to control price hikes due to outrageous settlements for faked injuries. So if the scummers didn't like you go to your insurance company as they'll be after the other person's company anyway. Even USAA wanted a fast settlement once all the medical information was in and I agreed with it. Thankfully mine was more like whiplash from a broken osteophyte in my neck and some horrid spasms in my mid back so time was the big healer with muscle relaxers and pain meds. I was never so scared as hearing and feeling that "pop" in my neck. I thought I had just gone from C6/7 to C4. I kept still until the EMT and a hard collar and back board arrived. Our idiot was discussing something with his passenger and missed the line of stopped traffic waiting for a light in front of him. Said it was his fault with lots of witnesses and damned near had a heart attack when he found out he had hit a quad.

I'd stop posting any details until things are settled.