Thread: Powering on an imac

Powering on an imac

Hi, does anyone know if there is another way an imac can be powered on besides by pressing the button on the back? I'd like to be able to do it myself, but can't with where the button is.

My dad made a little lever type thing with a cork at the end (to replace a finger) that stablized under the computer. My mother just had to push the lever to turn on her Mac. If you know someone handy, maybe they could do the same for you.

(KLD)

don't turn it off. I have two and just put them to sleep when not using. I have been doing this for years no issues

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    don't turn it off. I have two and just put them to sleep when not using. I have been doing this for years no issues
    yup put it to sleep, mac is different than pc, turning it off and on will damage your hard drive over time... put it to sleeeeeep ;]
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

On several occasions it has locked up, and in those situations I would like to be able to turn off/on independently.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    On several occasions it has locked up, and in those situations I would like to be able to turn off/on independently.
    http://youtu.be/ArL_LfJywHM
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

I was thinking something along the line of his carbon fiber rod but I was thinking dowel rod with something attached at the button end to at an angle. I was lucky when I had my imac, i have the right amount of curl in my fingers to pull my hand toward me and turn the button on and off. It was on a table in front of me close enough that I could get my hand just barely behind it on the side the button was on.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    is another way an imac can be powered on besides by pressing the button on the back? I'd like to be able to do it myself, but can't with where the button is.
    It turns out that you could turn on older Macs from the keyboard, but the online sources I checked all say that is no longer the case, e.g. http://superuser.com/questions/60371...board-shortcut . Sorry.

However, nearly the only reason I turn off my iMac is when installing new hardware. Mine is on for months without any problem. It's not like my old PC which had to be rebooted and turned off a lot. If you are experiencing frequent lockups requiring a hard reboot, then that is a system issue that should be addressed. Most software hangups or installs can be fixed either by killing a job from the task manager or else simply rebooting the machine; you can also go into sleep if you want.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 06-11-2015 at 03:15 AM.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    So power buttun on the keyboard is really an off switch and need written permission from the Kremlin to turn it back on again. Laptops keyboard is the only power button. Will confirm iMac hardware bug.

It seems when it is off USB is off. ADB did not have this problem. Need extra cct. like ADB. I.e. connect external swith to power button.

http://store.apple.com/us/question/a...CY9K7HJ4FPPDAK
    Last edited by zagam; 06-26-2015 at 08:06 AM. Reason: confirmed and found url

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Locked up!? It probably because system powered off while running. Disc writing memory down via DMA and then you remove power from memory. Krud is written to disc which is then must be used later.

There are patches for XFS signs everything, but not used as slowes it down. I have a UPS on Debian XFS box.

Note the reset button does not have same problem as DMA blocks NMI so Non Maskable Interrupt is only asserted after DMA has completed without disruption.

Following any Molly event I recommend erase and re-install.