Thread: Where to apply nitropaste?

Where to apply nitropaste?

Chad had major a/d just now and needed nitroglycerine. For 25 years, he's had the pill version but we currently now only have the paste version. I realized that I didn't know where to put it. I ended up putting it on his upper chest, but it didn't seem to help, so I think I put it in the wrong place. And do I rub it in like a cream, or just let it sit on the surface and wipe it off after his blood pressure drops back down? The doctor just wrote "Use as directed" on the bottle. So helpful.

zilla, i was told years ago to squeeze a vertical stripe of nitropaste about 3-5 inches long on my mid-thigh, starting above my knee, midthigh.
    rub it in slightly and then as my bp came down, to wipe it off with a tissue or paper towel.
    avoid getting it on your hands or skin. hope chad's ad episode is over.
    i also hope the sci nurse will give an updated direction, in case mine is outdated. good luck to chad and you, sorry he's having ad.

When we were at the VA SCI center last summer the nurse told me to rub it on the bony area behind his ear.
    She stressed the importance of using a rubber glove so it doesn't affect me.
    I've never had to use it.

Yes thankfully I had the presence of mind to use a glove! Did they tell you how much to use?

And the nitropaste we have is in a pot, not a tube, so a "strip" is hard for me to do. Any thoughts there SCI-Nurse?

I can't find the post, but I think I remember one of the SCI nurses recommending to squeeze a one inch strip on the inside of the forearm. However, there is a caveat....if nitropaste doesn't work, you need to advance to Nifedipine (bite and chew).

Hope Chad is okay. What caused this episode of Autonomic Dysreflexia?

All the best,
    GJ

For higher injuries a stripe across the forehead should work. In a pot I'd use a stick like a disposable tongue depressor. I understood it is best applied above the level of injury. Then wipe off as the blood pressure begins to go down. I've seen them say a tube squeeze of 3 to 5 inches so think of toothpaste when using other versions.

You need to apply the nitropaste above the level of injury- I usually do the chest wall. There should be some "papers", like a pad that come with the tube of paste. Squeeze about an inch of the paste on the paper and apply it to the skin. You should use gloves so you don't get any on you. Once the BP starts to come down, wipe the paste off with a paper towel or tissue.
    If you don't get the papers, just squeeze about an inch on the skin.
    Hope that this helps.
    CKF

This is the first I've heard of this stuff. Seems like a good thing to have on-hand for a quad. What kind of shelf life does it have?

Not sure of the shelf life of nitropaste, but know that it is not short (ie. less than a year). You could check with your pharmacist to find out more specifics.
    CKF