Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is There Anyone here who Gardens!

Five gallon buckets for sweet pees and carrots.

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6
    I have a square foot garden and it's great, easy to pull weeds and if it's elevated, you can do it easily out of a wheelchair, I use a light aluminum folding chair and work it from there.

I thought about doing a square foot garden but I really don't have anyone to make it for me. So I'm going the container garden route using a bunch of 5 gallon buckets. I'm gonna try that self watering method.

Yeah, I like bald fat dads idea five gallon bucket idea, it makes a lot of sense, but make sure to put drain holes or keep them out of the rain so they don't get flooded, I wonder about hydroponics, some people use fish tanks to fertilize the plants.

I cant find the blog, anyone have the link?

This will be third year of gardening. Absolutely love it. This is a pic of my two raised beds, then a place we put tomatoes, hot peppers, corn and zucchinis. We tried zucchini in the raised beds the first year but, they over grew and died. So we keep beans and lettuce in the raised. They are essy to work from.

No Title

Very nice garden. I hope I am successful at the things I plan to try.

I've tried for three years using containers on my front porch, and have had little luck. Last year we used five gallon buckets, and my husband had it finished before I knew he was doing it, and I'm afraid he put way too much stone at the bottom of the buckets. Now I have trouble trying to figure out how to correct the problem, and getting him to do the work! Looking at the links that KLD put up makes me want a raised garden. I really don't like the buckets.......don't like the looks of them on my porch. My husband can build, so I'm thinking if I can get him to look at those links, I might be able to get him to build me one on the porch, and it would look so much better too! So far I've mostly tried tomatoes and they haven't done well. I'm not sure why........ I think I will try one more time, and see what happens. I've had containers on the porch for flowers, and they do fine. I just can't seem to get my vegetables to grow!

Use rubber tires, they are free!

I use used rubber tires. stacked so that the hole in the middle is where you put the soil and plant. There are tons of used tires people are trying to get rid of. So they are free. All you have to do is get the soil or compost (you can make that yourself with raked leaves, table scraps, grass cuttings and other organic debris). I have grown wonderful squashes, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and other vegies and what I cannot use right at harvest, I either freeze or can and I have nice food for the winter. I make taller stacks to grow potato is taller stacks and add soil to "Hill" them and can add another tire to the stack if needed. They are easy to weed and maintain. When the season is over, and the garden is cleared, people who don't know me who stop by ask if I have a racetrack because of the large number of tires! LOL. They also are great as they act like a boundary for the edge of the driveway.
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

If you're gonna try the bucket route, you might look into hydroponics, or aquaponics. Without the soil, the plants are much easier to care for. You use net pots, which hang in the lid of the bucket. I have an indoor aquaponics setup. I am trying to use tropical aquarium fish, but am having very mixed results (plus the fish are not very hardy). Ultimately, I may have to switch to tilapia. The setup in the picture is very easy to use. I can pull under the water flow tubes to easily deal with the plants. The lights are on adjustable hangers, so I can easily raise or lower them. The plants grow in net pots, so I can easily take them out and remove them (or rotate the locations of the various pots. This was not an inexpensive endeavor. But, it beats gardening out in the hot sun.

Name:  IMG_0145.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  171.9 KB
    C-6/7 incomplete