Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is There Anyone here who Gardens!

Is There Anyone here who Gardens!

I am going to attempt to grow my own food this summer and I can imagine it will be somewhat of a task, however; I'm up for it. I was wondering if there are others here that garden and if so, do you have any tips or suggestions that may make it easier for a quad with one hand. I have approached my 6th year sci and although I am pretty healthy I want to stay that way. What better way, than to grow my own organic fruits and vegetables. Plus, I know gardening can be therapeutic as well.

I don't have a large garden. but do a few plants each year.

The first thing is to have the planting area where you can get to it and work it. I'm a para an have no problem leaning over sideways to work the ground, weed, etc. Being Quad you may want to have raised beds for your plants. Also think of where things like your water spigot and access to your beds are when planing where to put your plants.

Another thought is to start small and experiment a bit with things till you get a good working knowledge of what you can do and handle all at once.

One thing I have that is invaluable for me is adjustable handle tools for the garden. They're short enough to do close work withut getting in the way, but I can extend the handles for things just out of reach with the shorter length.

And don't forget to have fun

You can have a raised bed built. This is the easiest way.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to remember that I do need to start small. I've gotten really excited and when that happens I tend to go overboard. I've purchased about 50 different types of seeds already and know that there is no way for me to plant all the things I've purchased. I am going to check into the raised bed idea. That would be great! I'm going through the links Sci-nurse provided now. I can't wait to get started.

My son has an amazing garden, completely organic, raised boxes - 5 at last count. He gets his seeds from Seed Savers, all are heirloom seeds. He is a c6/7 and gardening has become his second passion. I will try to post some pics (not sure on this new site, but will try) .

One very passionate gardener who has a SCI is Brenda. She has a blog on accessible gardening called access to the garden. She has great garden experience, and won a big award this past yer for her garden. Check out her blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo
    My son has an amazing garden, completely organic, raised boxes - 5 at last count. He gets his seeds from Seed Savers, all are heirloom seeds. He is a c6/7 and gardening has become his second passion. I will try to post some pics (not sure on this new site, but will try) .

Thanks a lot, I would love to see pics if you can get them loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by simplicity
    One very passionate gardener who has a SCI is Brenda. She has a blog on accessible gardening called access to the garden. She has great garden experience, and won a big award this past yer for her garden. Check out her blog.
    Thanks for the link. I scooted on over to check out her blog and I love it. She is an inspiration to novice like me.

I have a square foot garden and it's great, easy to pull weeds and if it's elevated, you can do it easily out of a wheelchair, I use a light aluminum folding chair and work it from there.