Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Contemplating a big move...

The Columbia river that forms the border between Washington state and Oregon is one of the best places to sail because of the high force winds that come down the Columbia river gorge. It also brings with it snow and ice in the northern parts of the city in the winter. The Columbia river gorge is one of the most beautiful sights in the world in my opinion. Houseboats are another option. Many are on the Columbia river. Google earth and follow along the river to see if it would appeal to you.

Sailing and sailboarding are popular hobbies on the Columbia. Look up The Dalles Oregon on the internet and you will see what I mean.

Coastal cities are not really very good places to live. High unemployment and not very smart people (it is remarkably noticeable that education is grossly lacking there) for the most part. Sorry to all the people who live on the Oregon coast, but it is really my opinion.

You would have to go to Portland for most specialized medical treatment. Yamhill county and Clackamas counties (Washington and Multnomah have some of the highest) have the cheapest property taxes and they are located near OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) which is a very good hospital. About 30 miles as the crow flies.

There is light rail and lots of buses for transportation. Handicapped transport is also easy to arrange.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I agree that you want to be in reasonable driving distance to OHSU.

Thanks skippy13 and hlh,

This is all very daunting, and even as an American citizen I am scared shitless. That does not even begin to compare with what my husband, as a Dutch native dependent on me feels. We went to a social worker today to talk about his options if he stays here or if he leaves. It's all very scary to say the least. The good news is that if I get hit by a bus, he will probably have his security back home....
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Ellen, I want to respond, and I don't want to sound like a salesman for the Seattle and surrounds, but so much of what you seek seem to be available right here or very close by including sailing fresh or salt water. Seattle and neighboring cities share 30 mile long Lake Washington which is connected to the salt water by locks. There are boating possibilities everywhere. What are your top three must haves? You say medical, but what does that mean? There is no problem as far as quality of health care facilities here.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I haven't gotten far enough to know this yet, but it's a good question. About medical, I think as long as we are within driving distance of a major medical center we would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    ...What are your top three must haves? You say medical, but what does that mean? There is no problem as far as quality of health care facilities here.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Just some added thoughts: is proximity to family a consideration? Also, what about a 'transitional' type of move where you have a temporary favored location from which you can consider alternatives. In other words, view the move in terms of 'might not be permanent'. Some folks do this when job dictates a move; they can put a bunch of belongings into a storage facility while scouting around. There are storage places all over now. I once did something similar when we moved from a big city - thankfully my sister let me ship a truckload of belongings to be stored in her garage. We landed a barrier free tiny apartment and began a search which took one year, then got our "stuff" back. We are now decades in our location.

I second this .... probably, mainly because I want you to live near me! We are in Raleigh-Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    My husband and I are both wheelers and lived in North Carolina for two years, in the mid 1970's. At that time we were surprised at the great accessibility. We were first renting an apartment in Raleigh (very nice unit that had month to month rental option). Drove around Durham and very impressed with access. The state of NC had a fantastic activist wheeler couple - the late Ron Mace and his wife -sorry I can't recall her first name. He was an architect and barrier free design expert. They made the whole state wake up to barrier free design. (You can google them).
    My husband found a job, but alas, it was south of Raleigh/Durham, in a much quieter/conservative area. Great job but hard to connect with community and we left after two years as I could not find employment and missed my big family up North.
    It would be nice if you could travel to some of your potential locations and spend a few days scouting. This would be one area that might have promise.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager