Thread: blocked spc

blocked spc

ok since im not able to search on cc, here goes
    i am a c4//5 incomplete injury. i have a spc, and changed it 2 weeks ago. now my catheter is blocked causing leaks. i ttried flushing it but am not able to push any liquid in. i dont know what to do, and its already midnight here.
    please suggest what i could do.

ps. im in atlanta

If your indwelling catheter is clogged, and cannot be irrigated clear, it will have to be changed. Were you or someone who provides your care trained how to do this? Do you have the supplies? If not, you will have to go to the ER To have the catheter changed.

In the future, it would be wise to have your caregiver taught how to properly change the catheter, and to be sure that you have supplies available all the time in case this occurs again.

If you have straight catheters available, and someone to straight catheterize you through your urethra every 3-4 hours until the morning, you can call your physician first thing in the AM and see about getting the SP changed then. If not, as above, you need to go to the ER.

(KLD)

thank you for your reply KLD,
    ok so i went to ER last night and they tried flushing the catheter but couldnt do it either, so they swapped it out.
    so heres the problem, my catheter is being wonky again. i have drank about 1.8 liters of water, and my output is about 200ml. and there is quite a bit of sediment coming out.
    but it again feels like its blocked. im getting a bit dysreflexic, and feel like im going to start leaking again(i can feel when i start to leak). i am not really able to flush again. i can push liquid in but am not really able to pull it back out. what do i do? go back to the ER? why is this happening?
    oh i also got an ultrasound last week of my kidney and abdomen and apparently they are all clear.
    vaibhav

Did they include your bladder in the ultrasound? You may have a lot of sludge or "sand" in your bladder that is blocking the catheter. When they changed your catheter, did they also irrigate vigorously to try to flush anything out of the bladder? What kind of syringe are you using, and how forceful are you being in trying to withdraw the fluid?? Can you call your urologist's office now? Can you straight cath as above until you can see a physician? Otherwise, you are going to have to go back to the ER and get it changed again. (KLD)

no they did no irrigate at all after changing the catheter. i am using a 60cc syringe, and we are trying as hard as possible to withdraw the fluid. i unfortunately do not have a urologist here.i havent done ic's in nearly 5 years. i have way too much sensation and spasm to really do those. plus last time i did those i had a urethreal tear, plus to put a cath in me is super hard, even my urologist used to struggle with it.

You will have to go to the ER again, and ask to also be referred to a urologist who can see you on Tuesday (which may be difficult with the New Year's holidays). (KLD)

yeah my doctor is trying to get me an appointment tomorrow at shepherd center

It might be a good idea to consider a different type of catheter for your suprapubic. There is a catheter called Duette manufactured by Poiesis Corp. This catheter is different in that there are two balloons on the catheter inside the bladder. The drainage lumen are in between the balloons, which it is said, helps to prevent sediment moving into and clogging the catheter. That said, I do not have any experience with this catheter, but you may want to contact the company for a free sample. They will not send the sample to you. Your urologist or other physician must send a message to the company verifying the size of catheter that you use. Then you have to pick up the catheter at your doctor's office. This catheter comes in size 12 Fr to 18 Fr. This may be worth a try since you have so much trouble with regular catheters.

All the best,
    GJ