Thread: Lodging in Sacramento, CA?

Lodging in Sacramento, CA?

At the end of February I'll be spending about a week in Sacramento, CA for an internship. My best guess for housing would be to stay in a hotel...I used google maps to see hotels nearby, but there are mixed reviews for the closest hotel.

Currently we're deciding whether I should drive down (from Seattle, so quite a drive) or if I want to fly down and be without a car for the week.

Anyhow, does anyone have any hotel recommendations? I guess my order of preference is wheelchair accessibility, then cost, then location.

Where is your internship?? If you won't have a car, it would be best to stay close to where you will be training. What kind of accessiblity do you need? For example, must you have a roll-in shower, or will a tub work?? Do you use a lift for transfers so that you cannot have a platform bed?

(KLD)

Check out Comfort Inn and Suites. In October of this year we drove from Seattle to Orlando via Los Angeles and back again. I found the Comfort Inn and Suites to be sufficiently ADA compliant to seek them. All were good, some were surprisingly good, such as having two types of pool lifts. If you drive down from Seattle that time of the year and need to avoid snow in the Siskiyous, cut over to the coast at Drain. Figure on that detour adding a day to your trip. What's fun to do in warmer weather is to take I90 then turn south on 97 towards Yakima. 97 then stays in eastern Oregon all the way to Ca until it meets up with I 5. There is no traffic to deal with, the scenery is unbelievable, and it only adds a little extra time, if any to the trip.

I second Nonoise on his route. I also agree with SciNurse when she asked where your internship will be. Plenty of ADA taxi transportation from the airport, so that will not be a problem. There are multiple companies around Sacramento that will rent you an ADA van if you want one. I would look at the extended stay type of places, just make sure you pick one that is not substituting for low income housing. It may help if you let people know where, at least the area that the internship is so maybe someone could at least advise you on the area.

Sorry for the lack of info, I wasn't sure if I really wanted to announce my internship location. I had planned to look at any recommendations and see if they were close enough to the location to be a good match. I'll need to be able to get to Shriner's Hospital (which is at 2425 Stockton Blvd). Many years ago when I was a Shriner's patient they recommended a hotel for us (we had been stuck in traffic on the way there and didn't get in until late & couldn't check in) that wasn't accessible at all. Wish I could remember the name of it so I could avoid!

I can use a tub transfer bench, if the hotel actually provides a transfer bench (and not a little shower stool). I do all of my own transfers w/out lifts or sliding boards. I can generally get onto high beds without a problem. I had planned to call and speak to the manager of whatever hotel I was considering and making them tell me specifics about the room - I had a bad experience on a business trip when the only accessible room had a bench that was on the far end from the shower controls - no way to shower myself. That was only overnight, so I could deal, but I don't want to go a week without a shower.

I'm not used to driving a mini van, so I haven't been feeling confident about renting one and needing to park in a city. I currently drive a Honda Element, and drove a Eurovan in the past (much shorter turning radius than the standard mini van).

I will most likely take the standard route down I-5 so I can stay with friends/family in Eugene, OR and/or Redding, CA if I decide to drive...just trying to figure out logistics that won't make me too exhausted for the internship! :) I've considered flying down, and then driving back in rental with a friend (so I can spend time with my grandma in Northern CA). I do appreciate the route advice if we change our minds.

Looks like the Courtyard Sacramento Midtown is the closest. We have had good success getting accessible rooms at Countyard hotel. No free breakfast, but they have a restaurant on-site that includes breakfast service. Pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor. Next would be the Hotel Med Park, which has a complimentary continental breakfast. Also pretty good TripAdvisor reviews. I would call both and check on what is available as far as an accessible room or suite with them. (KLD)

Let me look at the new hotel across from Shriners. It is a half a block down, and across the street from Shriners. You could roll right over without any transportation. I might even come next door for lunch sometime. There is also the CourtYard by Marriott behind Shriners. You just have to go across a small side street right into the back of Shriners. That is probably the best place for you. You could call them and ask about rooms. If needed I will get you the number and address. Use Google and put in the Zip code 95817. Zoom in on Shriners and look behind it and you will see the CourtYard. I tried to send a link to street level of CourtYard, however Google maps will not let me. Just go to google and type in Shriners and click it. You will see what I am talking about