Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hollywood Beach FL Accessible Accommodations?

It is a rare occurance for Marriott properties due to the central ADA reservation system to give a HP room to walk ins or even members who at our level can normally bump others for a room we might want. Those rooms are not bumpable. Within the US we have had it happen twice in over a decade. Both were at premium Marriotts and a new night manager gave our room out at the first. The hotel arranged for us to get a roll in shower room at another of their properties around the block and then dealt with moving our luggage there for one night and back the next. We got 4 gourmet cupcakes from a seriously upscale place in the neighborhood because we didn't have access to the free concierge lounge for members that the Residence Inn didn't have. The next nigt back to where we should be we received a very good bottle of white wine and a huge, I mean huge, bowl of deluxe cashews. We have no idea what happened at the historic Marriott at Wentworth by the Sea, NH. But our first night we just had a tub and I have my own travel rolling commode and shower chair since the spouse got a new hip. No more hard transfers! They sent in a great cheese and fruit plate and another bottle of wine plus $100 off what we thought was that night. They compted us $100 for every night we were there and talk about wonderful service. We also got extra points for each time. They do not do this for non-US properties but they will help you find other rooms in other non-Marriott properties if they screw up. My kind of place.

Quote Originally Posted by air ohs

Exact shit happened to us at a RIU PALACE in PLAYA DEL CARMEN.
    Marriott and all their brands will not guarentee things outside of the US because of different laws and different ideas of, say, accessible bathroom. We had this happen on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. The room was accessible but it had a regular tub and no way under the sink. Then they tried the only remaining room a family suite. The bathroom was even worse. They called around because we wanted a full hotel not the Courtyard which would mean using the van in an area with little parking. We wound up next door at the Embassy Suites but same day booking during foliage season really upped the price. But their ADA switchboard system did warn us since that hotel did not list details about what constituted "accessible". Since the night before we stayed at a Courtyard that did include details that they only had roll under sinks and grab bars in bathtubs our Niagara hotel did need a shower.

The only fault we've ever seen as far as access goes in Marriott brands are newer Fairfield Inns. These are normally their least expensive brand. They designed wonderfully accessible rooms and then some finishing interior designer went through and didn't like exposed plumbing under the sinks. There are four small wing nuts holding the front panels on. If you see this just tell the desk and they normally fix it immediately. At one we stopped at late one night my husband just undid them. We always tell the manager on duty and one we go to every 6 months or so now has a matching wrap around that allows rolling under. Seems they had problems finding some of the counter material. The current front panel is just nicely finished particle board and lightweight. We see the same thing on some cruise ships with the same 4 wing nuts. Why the roll in showers are perfect and they do this to sinks I have no idea. We did stay at one of their Town something Place long term hotels that just opened and they have real roll unders so they do seem to get the general idea now.

Just came back from Hollywood Beach FL. We stayed 8 days at the Marriott. The room, hotel and property was fully accessible as promised. The Marriott is a nice place in a great location right on the beach and Broadwalk. It has an outdoor pool and jacuzzi but I didn't use either one. The restaurant was very good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. There are also several other restaurants nearby.
    The Broadwalk is awesome. It's about 50 feet wide and goes for maybe 3 miles. It's a flat stretch of hand laid pavers that is used as a walkway, bike trail, jogging path, roller blade track, etc. It is ground zero to a wide variety of characters that makes for a great spot to "people watch". It was great for me because it was sunny, 85 degrees, humid, flat and easy to push around. It was wonderful to push around to different bars and restaurants without the need of a car. We did drive to Las Olas Boulevard in Ft. Lauderdale to hop on the wheelchair accessible "Carrie B" Sightseeing Boat. It is a $26/person 90 minute sightseeing tour of some of the swanky digs on canals of Ft. Lauderdale. I will try to write more tomorrow.

Smokey, any change in the mattress type or bed? I would love to go back but not to a platform bed they cut the top off and then put a full foam type mattress on the floor inside the platform surround. Talk about a hard climb out!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sue, the bed we has was king sized. It had a regular thickness single king mattress on top of 2 single box springs. For the first time I can ever remember, the bed was about 2-3" too low! So we told the bellman who told the manager who sent up housekeeping, etc. I got on the phone and told the manager we needed maintenance. He sent up maintenance and they said this was a job for the hotel engineer. That guy came and said it was a decision that his supervisor had to make. The "head engineer" came up and couldn't figure it out. I was ready to find another hotel....it had become a bad joke and we were tired. Finally my wife said " instead of raising up the box springs on blocks why can't we just put extra bedding on top"? So we had housekeeping put about 6 bedspreads on top of the mattress. It built up the bed height to 23-24". However, that night when I went to bed, I sunk right down 2-3" again and it was awful trying to get out of bed the next morning. So the next day we went to a nearby Walmart and bought a 2" foam mattress cover, put that on top and added 2 bedspreads so it was the perfect height for me. That whole ordeal was REAL frustrating plus I have a reddish bruise on my left ischium trying to crawl out of that low bed that first morning.
    Last edited by smokey; 05-01-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Yep. I was surprised when we cecked out pre-cruise that the manager on duty said the low height was to prevent broken bones from falls. They must of listened some if you got box springs. We had a king size also but it seems Marriott is going to all tempurpedic type mattresses which I've dealt with before but I will be insisting on double box springs if we go back. And the dogs found our old bill. We paid $254 a night for 3 days pre-cruise and the same 2 days post cruise last April during spring break. Being Platinum status with them if you travel a lot is well worth it.

This past January we spent time in San Juan at the Renaissance La Concha Resort that was really nice too and you might be able to bump down the wide shallow steps into the pool. That was much cheaper like $180 and their beach is not for swimming due to riptides but nice area to lay out or head under the palm trees. Huge bar with real food and music, a sushi bar and 2 main restaurants. This area used to be very high priced in the WW2 to 1960 period and is up and coming again. After this winter Jay booked the same back 2 back cruise next January but we're going to try out the La Concha Marriott about 2 blocks down. There are curb cuts in most of this area so we can head to the Renaissance for they Pearl restaurant one night.

The Renaissance also had the foam mattress but not way down there. We had a "suite" that is basically a family style living space with fold out sofa, small but real dining height table and fridge, 2 burner, coffee machine then a very nice roll in friendly bath and then basic hotel room with non-beach view. The place hosts upscale weddings but has a huge young crowd at night. So fairly family friendly. We book our hotels separate from our cruises so we get our member bennies and we don't have to stress what a cruise line considers accessible.

You might think about writing Hollywood Beach to explain the bed issue. I mean you have problems and you're a para, right? I explained our problems as I'm a C6/7 and the spouse has to literally dig me out of that sunken pit. I doubt they get many ultra frail elderly who fall out of bed and break bones. But it is perfectly located so no car rental needed and plenty to do right there.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.