Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Beach FL Accessible Accommodations?

Hollywood Beach FL Accessible Accommodations?

I'm looking for wheelchair accessible accommodations in Hollywood Beach FL on or close to the Broadwalk. Flat or ramped entrance to the unit and a roll-in shower required. Not going to spend $350/night at the Marriott or Westin. I've called a lot of the older motels and hotels and not one of them is accessible.

Any FL folks here that can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

We spent several days each side of a cruise down there at the Marriott last April and didn't pay close to that amount. We've found booking way in advance cuts costs dramatically. We went all around that area and we didn't see any other hotels that would be accessible. The older ones all seem to have steps due to hurricane wash. It is a terrific place once you're there and lots of fairly inexpensive restaurants and bars on the broardwalk along with a band shell. Good luck.

We spent several days each side of a cruise down there at the Marriott last April and didn't pay close to that amount. We've found booking way in advance cuts costs dramatically. We went all around that area and we didn't see any other hotels that would be accessible. The older ones all seem to have steps due to hurricane wash. It is a terrific place once you're there and lots of fairly inexpensive restaurants and bars on the broardwalk along with a band shell. Good luck.

Thanks Sue. How did you book your room at the Hollywood Beach Marriott last April and NOT pay around $345/night? I looked at Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Kayak, etc. I even called the hotel directly trying to get a better rate.....still the price is about $345/night.

As I told Smokey privately the further ahead you book the cheaper the rates. We booked almost 4 months in advance. Hollywood Beach is also in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area for cruise lines that book rooms for pre and post cruise passengers at better than normal rates. In an area of smaller older hotels on a very popular 3 mile stretch of broadwalk that includes at least 2 plastic mat strips to the water for wheelers this is a very well packed family area. You really need to book a long time in advance especially during holidays.

Sue, We are going in April which is 4 months away. I thought that would be plenty of time to book the hotel and get a decent rate. The flights are not full...probably 80% empty right now so picking our seats was no problem. We are going to use some Capital One points and AAA to take the sting out of it.

Unfortunately those hotels know they fill the HP rooms with cruise passengers so the furthest out the better then they just charge a bit above what the lines guarantee them. If you get tired of the places on the broadwalk there was a fun Greek place near by. Go out to the road in front and head left. A few blocks down and across the street was Opa's I think was the name. Complete with a belly dancer but kid friendly as she got the kids up there too. Great fresh seafood and retsina if you like the pine tasting white wine. All very casual and roll in easy. I personally could live on the mussels one place served as appetizers. Some very fresh tasting chilled and Latin American style with beers. Yum! Chorros I think they are called. We had iced coffees at a café one day and watched a Brazillian movie company film several scenes. They probably shot some of the scenes in South Miami...

Did you get turned over to their ADA department? If not call the hotel direct and make sure the main reservation of Marriott knows that room is reserved for a person who needs it. Might ask about getting a real not foam mattress too.

Thanks Sue. Yes I spoke to some guy in the Marriott ADA section. He assured me the room we booked has a roll-in shower and it is indicated as such on the reservation they emailed to me. About 10 years ago we booked a ADA room with a roll-in shower at the Hyatt in Aruba for a week. When we got there they had given the room to somebody else and no other rooms with a roll-in shower were available. I had the ADA roll-in shower confirmation email in hand. I went wild. I told them to move the people out or upgrade them to an oceanfront suite or whatever to free up the room. They asked the folks to move and they refused. The manager at that Hyatt eventually put us up in the oceanfront suite instead but I had no shower for a week....just bed baths. Made the whole week suck as it was extra work for my wife. To make matters worse, the couple that had been given the ADA room with roll-in shower didn't need it! They were old...maybe 75-80. The guy was fully ambulatory and the old lady only had a walker that she left behind when they went to the beach everyday and she walked through the grounds, across the sand unassisted and frolicked in the ocean! I could have taken a flamethrower to that hotel and beat that old couple about the face and neck. Fucking deadbeats. It's the same kind of asshole that would get a HP Placard due to toe fungus. When we got home I sent a scathing letter to the Hyatt corporate office and they gave us a free week back at the Hyatt in Aruba. Fuck that shit. We never took them up on the offer. I wouldn't go back there if those cocksuckers paid me.

We'll see what happens in FL at the Marriott.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Thanks Sue. Yes I spoke to some guy in the Marriott ADA section. He assured me the room we booked has a roll-in shower and it is indicated as such on the reservation they emailed to me. About 10 years ago we booked a ADA room with a roll-in shower at the Hyatt in Aruba for a week. When we got there they had given the room to somebody else and no other rooms with a roll-in shower were available. I had the ADA roll-in shower confirmation email in hand. I went wild. I told them to move the people out or upgrade them to an oceanfront suite or whatever to free up the room. They asked the folks to move and they refused. The manager at that Hyatt eventually put us up in the oceanfront suite instead but I had no shower for a week....just bed baths. Made the whole week suck as it was extra work for my wife. To make matters worse, the couple that had been given the ADA room with roll-in shower didn't need it! They were old...maybe 75-80. The guy was fully ambulatory and the old lady only had a walker that she left behind when they went to the beach everyday and she walked through the grounds, across the sand unassisted and frolicked in the ocean! I could have taken a flamethrower to that hotel and beat that old couple about the face and neck. Fucking deadbeats. It's the same kind of asshole that would get a HP Placard due to toe fungus. When we got home I sent a scathing letter to the Hyatt corporate office and they gave us a free week back at the Hyatt in Aruba. Fuck that shit. We never took them up on the offer. I wouldn't go back there if those cocksuckers paid me.

We'll see what happens in FL at the Marriott.

Exact shit happened to us at a RIU PALACE in PLAYA DEL CARMEN.