Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first-class vs coach

first-class vs coach

I know first-class cost more. Is it worth it? I am a high quadriplegic with no balance at all. I think I would benefit from being able to recline back more than the coach seats. Any information is appreciated.

Definitely more comfortable seating, and yes you do get more recline, and they are wider so you get some squirm around space.

Only possible downside, since the seats are wider, side to side balance problem could exist; you know, like being sandwiched into a seat where you don't have to worry about shifting vs. an open seat. But they aren't too much wider so shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I sit on my Roho cushion in flight, so the bigger seats accommodate it better, I use a 18x18 HiPro.

You have to be careful about the configuration of some first class seating. In planes where the seats fully recline (make into a bed) there is a pod quality to the design for privacy which may make the lift transfer into the seat difficult. Also, if you need the assistance of an attendant while in flight, it might be a bit difficult. NL and I have flown several configurations of first class and the new "bed" seating is wonderful on long flights, but just be aware of what configuration the flight you are planning has. Also, NL and I like the companionship of one another during meals. NL had to sit on a hard little bench at the foot end of my seat to have dinner with me. All in all, our first class experiences have been enjoyable, relaxing and we arrive at our destination more rested.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Definitely more comfortable seating, and yes you do get more recline, and they are wider so you get some squirm around space.

Only possible downside, since the seats are wider, side to side balance problem could exist; you know, like being sandwiched into a seat where you don't have to worry about shifting vs. an open seat. But they aren't too much wider so shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I sit on my Roho cushion in flight, so the bigger seats accommodate it better, I use a 18x18 HiPro.
    I would definitely need a chest strap. I use the same size roho cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl
    You have to be careful about the configuration of some first class seating. In planes where the seats fully recline (make into a bed) there is a pod quality to the design for privacy which may make the lift transfer into the seat difficult. Also, if you need the assistance of an attendant while in flight, it might be a bit difficult. NL and I have flown several configurations of first class and the new "bed" seating is wonderful on long flights, but just be aware of what configuration the flight you are planning has. Also, NL and I like the companionship of one another during meals. NL had to sit on a hard little bench at the foot end of my seat to have dinner with me. All in all, our first class experiences have been enjoyable, relaxing and we arrive at our destination more rested.

All the best,
    GJ
    What airlines have you used and like the most?

United, British Air, Alaska Air, and Lufthansa.

Where do you plan to travel?

All the best,
    GJ

I won't be traveling anytime soon. Possibly next year sometime. I would probably start off with a trip to New York from Florida. If that goes good I would love to travel a lot more. I've been reading up on it. Learning what to do. How to keep my chair in one piece. I think that scares me the most. Without that I'm not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44
    I won't be traveling anytime soon. Possibly next year sometime. I would probably start off with a trip to New York from Florida. If that goes good I would love to travel a lot more. I've been reading up on it. Learning what to do. How to keep my chair in one piece. I think that scares me the most. Without that I'm not going anywhere.
    For domestic travel under 4 hours I don't find business class worth the extra money. That being said if you are of above average height or width then it probably is. I fly quite a bit and I would not sweat it, the airlines/airport know what they are doing, it may be the first time for you but it wont be for them. That being said, I am a para not a quad so can transfer from the aisle chair to the airplane seat without assistance and have never had to deal with the mechanics of flying with a power chair.

I am average height and width. The main concern for me is not being able to transfer myself. Then I will need a chest strap to keep me from going side to side. In my power chair I have lateral supports and I wear a chest strap. Definitely something I will have to do more research on.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44
    I am average height and width. The main concern for me is not being able to transfer myself. Then I will need a chest strap to keep me from going side to side. In my power chair I have lateral supports and I wear a chest strap. Definitely something I will have to do more research on.
    Well again I am a para but if you are a high level quad they are going to put you in the first row in coach. I hate that row because it doesn't have armrests that flip up, which since I transfer myself makes it harder to get in. In business class it is a bit of a crap shoot whether the armrests will flip up so sometimes it is harder to get into a business class seat than one in coach.

BTW, I prefer business class and fly it when my company is footing the bill, but some bad food (I don't drink but there is also free booze if that is exciting to you) and a bigger seat for that short a trip (NY to FL) I don't see it being worth the extra money. There is certainly no reason (like easier transferring, chest strap) that makes business class more manageable from a SCI standpoint. You still get on first and get off the plane last (well if they are boarding from the middle of the plane sometime they can pull you off when first class exits and there are still people coming out of coach but that is fairly rare).