Thread: Paint coming off surgilube tubes?

Paint coming off surgilube tubes?

So I have been using surgilube for over 28 yrs with no issues. I use for both bowel and bladder management. Dig stim for Bowel and Intermittant cath for Bladder. Recently after barely opening a tube (after it is rinsed under tap or wiped off with wet ones antibacterial wipes ,the paint is coming off and I mean a lot of it. It gets all, over blue specks on gloves when bowel and on 2wet wipes when cathing . Never had this problem before stopped using one shipment got new ones yesterday I get 2 dozen at a time) same problem. Have a few older ones left with an earlier exp date no problems with them. Am using flip top 4 and 1/4 oz tubes. Any body else dealing with this?. thinking it can't be good to have all this paint floating around with chances to enter body. What are some other lubricants others use I tried KY jelly on a limited basis but found it did not stick to catheters very well.

That is odd. I think you should call Customer Service at Savage Laboratories, a division of Fougera Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The number is 800-525-8747. Explain to them as you have here. They may want to have these tubes back for testing. They will probably send a call tag and either reimburse you or send you new product. Maybe a call to your supplier about the problem would be beneficial too.

I am using ProAdvantage Lubricating Jelly by NDC, Product Number P903200 (http://www.proadvantagebyndc.com/pro...ube_jelly.html) I have used this for intermittent catheterization and bowel care. Now I use it for once a month change of suprapubic catheter and bowel care. I don't use the same tube for both. I use separate tubes for catheterization and bowel care. No cross contamination that way.

All the best,
    GJ

In these days of counterfeit medical supplies and outsourcing it does not surprise me that things like this turn up. I would follow GJ's advice and report it to the manufacturer so they can check it out.

I am doing all of the above customer service number i called was from surgilube (fougera) website they have been cooperative but wouldn't tell me if others were having problems. I was recently forced to switch suppliers by my Ins. Co. which I am sure was for money saving reasons on their part . I will see if I can get some proadvantage while all of this gets straightened out. It does seem like quality of supplies is going down and I am aware that one has to fight sometimes to get supplies of reasonable quality. It can be energy and time consuming as we all know. I have also discovered that the flip top tubes are made of different material than screw off top tubes which I think were aluminum.

The ProAdvantage Lubricant is supplied in what I would characterize as a plastic tube with a flip top.

All the best,
    GJ

I use Walmart's Equate Personal Lubricant Jelly for digi stim. The 4.0 oz plastic tube with flip top lid cost less than $2.00.