Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowel program after surgery

Avoid laxatives like Miralax if you are having very soft accidents. How often are you having accidents? When in relationship to when you do your bowel care? You probably need to firm up your stool. Metamucil is OK, but getting enough fiber in your diet is better. How much water are you drinking daily? Are you not having results with your bowel care in the AM? Do you also do dig stim along with the use of a suppository? Are you eating something or drinking a hot liquid right before doing bowel care? Doing bowel care up on a toilet or commode? Making sure that the Magic Bullet is properly inserted (touching the bowel mucosa, not inserted into stool)?

(KLD)

Thank you SCI Nurse. I am having accidents every 1-4 days. I have been doing a BP every morning. My water intake is about 1.5-2 L/day. No results unfortunately although I have been diligent each AM. Yes I am also doing dig stim, and on some mornings have a coffee before I start BP. I do it on a rolling shower commode chair. I am sure that the Magic bullet is not in stool since there is no stool in my rectum when I do this.

I started consulting a gastroent… Dr and he suggested that I use 145 mg of linzess in the am 30 mins before a meal. I tried this yesterday and it produced results but then another big accident later in the afternoon that messed my day up pretty well.

I have been a T3 complete SCI victim for 2.5 years and my BP was working fine before this recent surgery to have my rods extended. I used to just get up and dig stim - no suppositories required. I did use 1/2 dose of miralax and a full dose of metamucil to help, taken each day. But since the surgery my rectum is empty when I get up and there is no response to dig stim or suppositories.

Do you think that the linzess is a good idea? I feel like I am trying too many things and would like to start on a logical progression back to an effective BP. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Linzess is a new drug used for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Does your physician think you have this?? It can cause diarrhea as a side effect, so is probably the cause of your big accident. I have not had any experience in using it for bowel management in SCI.

Have you had any other neurologic changes since the surgery?? (changes in spasticity, bladder, erections, etc.)?? Are you no longer taking the Metamucil for some reason?

You may need to try doing bowel care at a different time of day, or possibly twice daily in order to get back onto a regular regimen.

(KLD)

The physician did not mention ibs but thought the linzess could help get me regular and the we could back off. No changes in spacisity or anything else you mentioned. Yes i still use metamucil and am consuming more fiber and fluids. Thx for feedback on experience with linzess and sci. I did not think there was much experience here. My physiatrist thought i should use mg citrate to clear myself out so here we go..