Thread: San Jose Abilities Expo - great time

San Jose Abilities Expo - great time

It's early in in the morning and I am very tired from yesterday at the Abilities Expo but I wanted to say that I had the best time. I saw everything I wanted to including stopping by the SmartDrive booth and meeting Mark in person. Steve Holub at D's Locks was so nice and gives amazing customer service. He really backs up his stuff. I bought mine years ago and he's helped me any time I had a question or concern and he did it again yesterday. Went to the Spinergy booth and saw the new stuff. I really like the new hub design but the spoke count is high and they don't have a new version of an open spoke design like the LX. I love my LX and I'll be sticking with them. Check out what they have though.

Everything was great and it felt like there was too much to see in one day but it was all we could do to make the trip, run around and find our way home again. Lot's of different kinds of power-assist were there. More than I knew were on the market. For me the SmartDrive is perfect but nothing is right for everyone and I can see the very strong appeal of the ZX-1 (which looks great). Having that joystick must be very nice.

I also saw the collapsible wheels (forgot the name). They seemed pretty heavy to me and I don't travel on airplanes so they didn't appeal to me other than looking very futuristic so therefore cool.

Looking forward to some new stuff from Coloplast. Again it's early in the morning and got about 4 hours sleep so I can't remember the details but what was shown to me looked like something that might really help out. Samples will be on the way and maybe I'll have found a good new solution.

TENS. Yeah, I got one. It was an impulse buy. After I tried it at the booth I noticed the stimulation was distracting me from my pain. I don't think the TENS will be something worth it in the end or really beneficial but even one day with some distraction from the pain might have been worth the price - long day and after the show we got some dinner. I pulsed and was shocked all through dinner and it kept me okay in my chair a little longer. My review so far is that it's uncomfortable and distracting with some good feeling when I get it just right. The unit is very portable. I don't know about the quality - if it will last a few days or not break down for a year. It's the least important piece of equipment I've bought and again, just for the distraction from pain on the drive home and during dinner was worth a lot. Very strange sensations though. I'll see what I learn about using in the coming weeks.

That's it for now. Need a few days to recover but such a good time and as usual my girlfriend was an angel. How she can stand there for 20-30 minutes while I tech talk with SmartDrive or talk about urine bags with the Coloplast rep, is a mystery to me. I know that it means that if she ever wants to go to the museum of sewing thread and pocket lint, I'd better spend all day there with a big smile on my face. I owe her big time :-)

I live in the bay area and only heard about the Expo on late Saturday morning. Too late to change plans to drive up to Napa for NL's birthday and today, had previously made plans for lunch with a cousin for NL's birthday. Must pay more attention next year. Haven't been to an expo in a few years and would have liked to have touched base with some suppliers and exhibitors. My To-Do list has a tickler in it for next November.

All the best,
    GJ

I attended yesterday and was overwhelmed with all the information and equipment out there. It was perfect and just the place I needed to be. I'm just recently in need of a wheelchair and now at least know what's out there and could work for me. I fell in love with the recumbent bike with hand pedals. Do you know if there are any stores here in the area that carry them?

Maybe this link to BORP [ http://www.borp.org/events/adaptive-cycling/ ] will help you find handcycles in the Bay Area.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT
    I attended yesterday and was overwhelmed with all the information and equipment out there. It was perfect and just the place I needed to be. I'm just recently in need of a wheelchair and now at least know what's out there and could work for me. I fell in love with the recumbent bike with hand pedals. Do you know if there are any stores here in the area that carry them?
    YOU PROBABLY RAN INTO US AT THE TOP END BOOTH. WWW.BIKE-ON.COM shoot me a note and we can discuss your needs if you like john@bike-on.com

Thank you. I will give them a call today to set something up. Excellent info.

Yes I did. Lynn had me try out one of your hand peddle bikes and I fell in love with it. My problem at this time is I don't know how long I can actually sit in a bike or how long I can peddle. I have problems using my right arm and sitting increases my pain levels. That is why I wanted to find a place to rent or try out a bike a few times before I buy.

finding the right positiong is huge. did you try an rx so your more supported? let me know if I can help.