Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: catheter?

catheter?

I use rusch enclosed system caths sometimes I have a hard time getting the tube in
    what type of caths do yall use im thinkin of switching my urologist suggested coude tipped caths

If you are having a hard time getting the straight catheter through the urethra, the coude tipped catheters can help. I had to use coude tipped catheters the entire time I used intermittent catheterization to empty the bladder. Straight tipped catheters created false passages, damage to the urethra.

Sometimes, if you pull the catheter back from the area you are having difficulty and then try to push it in further can help this problem.

All the best,
    GJ

Flo cath or Ultra Slick catheters have straight and coude tips. You place water into the packaging with the catheter still in and the water activates a coating on the catheter that makes it ultra slick. These catheters are very helpful if you have scar tissue that forms on the lining of the urethra from numerous caths.

good luck

pbr

I think there is a lot of difference between brands of catheters. I use bard touchless plus and I really like them. I've used rusch, hollister and others that I had more difficulty inserting smoothly.

Try Coloplast SureCath, they are self contained hydrophyllic caths. They have a tiny bottle of water in the enclosed system, you twist the cap off to soak the cath, then use. They are slicker than owl snot.
    http://www.us.coloplast.com/products...28Coloplast%29

great thanks ill try them slicker the better

I'm having problems inserting the catheter tubes! All was fine with these catheters (Self-Cath by Coloplast & Gentle Cath) for the past five years and suddenly without any warning they refused to go in! I'm using Lidocane 2% to get them started but there is a resistance that was never before a problem. They refuse to enter without Lidocain. Anybody have any ideas suggestions? Thanks

PS

Thanks McDuff!

I just checked the Coloplast web site for the SureCath. Called my supplier and was told that my insurance won't cover them as they as quite a bit more $ than the Self-Cath! So, any ideas? I need help with this problem.

Garyis, you may have a false passage. You need to see your urologist, and if you do have one, the usual treatment is to place an indwelling urethral catheter for 2-3 weeks while it heals up. You should also be evaluated for a possible enlarged prostate. If you have the latter problem instead, a Coude tipped catheter may be easier to pass.

(KLD)

Gary, a few of us have had this problem over the years, with no known cause. I normally use Self Caths at home too, and maybe once/twice a year I will get that, "ain't going in no way no how" problem. My fix, is to use a SureCath for a couple times, and for some reason, that then clears the way for SelfCaths again. I use SurgiLube with the SelfCaths and can only think that sometimes it makes a sticky spot instead of slippery, and the hydrophyllic stuff on the Sure's loosen it all up again.

If you can swing it, try getting some SureCaths and give them a try, You should be able to get some samples from Coloplast or your supplier.

discalimer: if your cath is going all the way in and you get no pee, then you may have a false passage, I've had one of those too, then disregard me and pay attention to KLD.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Gary, a few of us have had this problem over the years, with no known cause. I normally use Self Caths at home too, and maybe once/twice a year I will get that, "ain't going in no way no how" problem. My fix, is to use a SureCath for a couple times, and for some reason, that then clears the way for SelfCaths again. I use SurgiLube with the SelfCaths and can only think that sometimes it makes a sticky spot instead of slippery, and the hydrophyllic stuff on the Sure's loosen it all up again.

If you can swing it, try getting some SureCaths and give them a try, You should be able to get some samples from Coloplast or your supplier.

discalimer: if your cath is going all the way in and you get no pee, then you may have a false passage, I've had one of those too, then disregard me and pay attention to KLD.
    do you use the bag kind or just the cath and pee into a bottle or something

looks like jimmie got number 6 buddy cant wait for daytona