Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typing code and quadriplegic

Typing code and quadriplegic

I know that there are quadriplegics out there that are programmers. I want to learn some coding but typing is a bitch with my typing stick and hitting the shift key for the different characters used. How is coding done productively as a quadriplegic?

Are you using an editor or IDE that does automatic completion?

Does the software you will use allow for something like MS Windows "Sticky Keys"? Typing with one thumb, I couldn't get by without this feature.

I am a quad and did a good bit of code. Can you explain what it is about using the shift key makes it a bitch?

I think he is referring to holding shift key to get another character. I would just turn on sticky keys. If he is using Windows go to Control Panel, accessibility options, make your keyboard easier, checkmark sticky keys and hit okay.

Quote Originally Posted by jwr18
    I think he is referring to holding shift key to get another character. I would just turn on sticky keys. If he is using Windows go to Control Panel, accessibility options, make your keyboard easier, checkmark sticky keys and hit okay.

If that is the problem, sticky keys is the solution. I have been using it for ages.

I agree the 'Sticky Keys' option in Windows OS is a great help. Do the programming professionals here have any suggestions on top codes to master to work at home eventually? I'm also Quad (c4) and looking to go back to work. Little experience with html/css/Dreamweaver/Photoshop, and Comp TIA A+/Security+ certified (which I know have nothing to do w/ programming languages). Thanks.

Yesss! STICKY F$&@ING KEYS! I am a c5/6 web programer(php, javascript, css3, html5, ect) and I couldnt do it without sticky keys. Hit shift 5 times to easily turn them on or goto Control Panel -> Accessibility .

Also check out one of my current projects: http://sci.rutgers.edu/vb5/forum/sci...testers-wanted

http://www.wheelhard.com/

I use the keyboard by logitech G510, I use the G16 key for the shift key...

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    OSX has sticky keys too. I am a para and use GNU/Linux for its security and simplicity which is good for low vision.
    In GNU/Linux you need enable both console and X11. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Keyboard-a...-HOWTO-15.html
    I do this to break the dreaded and useless Caps Lock which won't help you with those characters above the digits.
    Last edited by zagam; 03-08-2014 at 05:20 AM. Reason: URL corrupted