Thread: Power ad on opptions

Power ad on opptions

I was told by my OT I need to concider power add on my next go around when I get a new chair. All I know is that I do not want extenders or anything luck them. I am leaning more towards something like the zx1 or the smart drive. Of course this changes things a lot. As these two things are not adaptable to the icon. So that brings me to the next stage. A different manufacture of chair in a few years. I am watching technology change rapidly. And every few years something new comes out! Any one got the zx1 yet? Smart drive looks great too. I have a few years to go before these changes so who knows icon might become compatable with some of these!

I absolutely love my zx1. I'm an old fogey but very active and use it whenever I go outdoors. In a class I take, I detatch it and wheel around in the studio classroom. I got it this summer as my shoulders have been declining in strength, with added pain when pushing my chair. My husband, also paralyzed, is in the process of getting a SmartDrive. He can still push his chair but it's getting rough on his shoulders for outdoor uphills and distances. I tried the SD for 3 weeks but needed more help. We have a full sized van, so using my zx1 for travel works out, but one would need to consider the heavy weight of the zx1, about 70 lb., if you have to transport it in a car. SD is simple to detatch and place in car.

I am leaning more towards the zx1 than the smart drive. Last go around my dme wanted to put me in a power chair! I fought it. And my OT fought it. She mentioned the zx1 to me because it can be detached and it's lighter than a power chair! I should do some trials with both. But my other issue is that they will not attach to my icon! So like she said the next go around for a new chair will have to be a different maker. If that's the case. I'd like to go with a box chair. Second runner up on chairs is tilite. As I will never have another quickie again!