Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Murray Blackmore Gene Therapy for SCI: Progress and Challenges

Dr. Murray Blackmore Gene Therapy for SCI: Progress and Challenges

Dr. Blackmore asks the question, "Might it be possible to genetically reprogram adult neurons in order to reignite their embryonic growth potential?"

The video presentation is now available in the Working 2 Walk 2013 Video Library made possible by Unite 2 Fight Paralysis. Be sure to log into your U2FP account (or create one) to access the entire library. The link is at https://www.z2systems.com/np/clients/u2fp/login.jsp You are also able to do a login via your Facebook or Twitter account.

With all the stories of rats walking and Dr. Young getting regeneration with UCB + Lithium, why is Dr. Blackmore talking about not being able to get meaningful/substantial regeneration in a mouse? Why is he so clueless?

I guess its because he is working with genes. I dont think that a combination of cells and genes are possible. Imagine how high the risks would be to try it both..... these are probably things which are not working. too many changes in our body/cord

So all of these scientists are wasting their time looking at molecular, gene and cellular targets that could assist the chronic cord with regeneration because there were too many changes in the body?

I'd say Dr Blackmore has quite a few clues. He's looking at regeneration from the other side. I believe the idea is find the gene/s that restart the growth in neurons and the gene to shut it off again and then infect the injured with the regrow gene via a virus vector and no cells needed. Once a person appears to be rewired than we need, like in babies, to stop the growth or you will have so many signals coming in your brain will go into overload.
    This type of approach is being used now in certain cancers to figure out which treatments to try based on how rapidly the cancer is growing and the type of mutations it has. I noticed from looking at the hieroglyphics on other labs's grease boards that he is definitely not the only one looking at a genetic angle to this problem.

Grammy , I didnt say that.... But imagine if you give cells and work with genes how many changes will happen. First the cells are trying to include at the injury site and the genes affect the ´´old´´ and ´´new´´ cells. Changes in the DNA will happen in both of them. Too many uncalculatable risks for a formation of tumors and other things that could happen with a treatment of cells and genes. IMO its a risk which scientists wont want to take especially the FDA. And you shouldn´t forget that all the things we are talking about are still experimental so I also think that this is 10000000 miles away from clinical trials in humans (gene therapy only!)

Grammy , I didnt say that.... But imagine if you give cells and work with genes how many changes will happen. First the cells are trying to include at the injury site and the genes affect the ´´old´´ and ´´new´´ cells. Changes in the DNA will happen in both of them. Too many uncalculatable risks for a formation of tumors and other things that could happen with a treatment of cells and genes. IMO its a risk which scientists wont want to take especially the FDA. And you shouldn´t forget that all the things we are talking about are still experimental so I also think that this is 10000000 miles away from clinical trials in humans (gene therapy only!)

There are currently several approved gene therapies for other conditions.

But not directly in the brain.....there is a barrier.....

Not all gene manipulations take place via brain. Some are being worked on that can be directly delivered to the cord.