Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How do you get over your body rotting away?

C they're not useless to them selfs, and they c inspire young athletes, give them someone to look up to, give people some entertainment in their boring everyday lives how can you say boxers and kick boxers and MMA fighters are useless to society our hockey players, C basketball players any different then? Sports are a huge part of the human species, and combat sports started it all it's basically embedded in our genetics, but now people think we are too sophisticated well that's not true it's a very important sport still. And extremely popular. Why are you c saying get over your self I don't think I could be any under myself

If athletes are useless then crippled people are the most useless living humans on this earth, only to burden the rest of society to make it accessible for them to get around The cities and at work places, plus waste the tax payers money on grants to help them financially.

Good for you, you're making the best of this garbage. I could do rugby I be the one point or useless player but rugby is just notc interesting or enjoyable for me. I hope you're right, I know I won't last c fifth teen years ,but I hope all you do, I'm pushing myself to at least make it to a settlement is made so I can donate to research.c i'm trying but I don't know I lease I played my part.

I find most pro sports players to be rather delusional. Have you seen what Findley from the Green Bay Packers is doing right now? He got more than a stinger and even a mild tackle now could put him exactly where you and he wants to play again to keep the money and fame going. Sports types, the serious kind tend to be physically washed up by age 40. And the military is much like that so our military retires active duty types after 20 years so for most age 38 to 45. Then we go into a less physically difficult fild and smart troops plan for this. I was active duty Army and was still in pretty decent shape when I hit the chair. But then I went into the Army knowing that people get seriously hurt and dead in that particular occupation. You think I'm thrilled with this body and the chair? I should be shopping for gowns and high heels for holiday social things right now but formal wear that looks great is not meant to be worn sitting all the time. You hear me whining? I spent 10 years in a serious PT program and am now traveling more since my husband retired. I spent 3 years working a bill through Mayland's General Assembly to fund SCI Research. Find a new way to do what you did or find anew focus. We have a quad here that is a prize winning weight lifter and still does it from a chair. You chose your life. You don't get to return it now that you don't like it. I had a tiny little artery stop working that is so small you couldn't see it on MRIs or CTs. I did not chose anything having to do with my injury. Would you feel the same way about your injury and body if it happened while you were kick boxing? Then would it be ok because you picked it?

Blog Entries
    James, the martial arts were as much designed to temper the mind and spirit as the body. It is quite surprising you spent so much time practicing them, and yet, seem to have missed a big part of the intended benefit. And, there are many, many crippled people contributing to themselves, their families, and society, in meaningful ways. Not providing mindless entertainment, or glorified violence, nor simple money. But, As parents, as friends, artists, doctors, educators, professionals and lay people alike. Etc, etc, etc, etc. The "can't do" attitude on display in your posts is not at all what I would expect from an authentically dedicated practitioner. Hardening the Body, alone, is indeed useless, as you discovered. It is not serving you one bit, is it? Refocus your Mind.

martial arts is not intended for you to find peace with this disabilities, especially Mauy Thai it's nothing like tai chi or kung fu, it's how to inflict the most damage with all the 8 points of the body, The only mental us that is taking physical pain and not showing it. Why is it so hard to under stand that people some people can't accept this. Sue I wasn't undermining how hard this injury has been for you, for all I know you had it 100 times worse than me. And you have no right to say what profession is useless to society, that is pointing that your perspective is the ultimate and correct perspective among the rest of humanity. Which is a very egotistical assumption to make. Same as me saying cripples are useless that's just my perspective, is a doctor more effective for society then a fighter, technically yes but in different ways and whose to judge which ways are better than the other? What I do know is I'll never make a life with this injury, because of how good my life was before, how bad it was at times and what I enjoy and believe in before my injury, my dreams and where I saw I was going. Plus how much I despised and look down at weakness, now I am what I hate most. And partially because I don't want to, I don't want to accept this and then 40 years later forget what it's like to be normal and look at my life with regret losing my glory years to a chair when I should be partying, fucking, training enjoying my youth. Maybe it's because I'm week that I can't just move on, maybe that I'm too strong because I can't live with people violating me to take a crap and accept people's help when I feel I should be helping them, as an older brother, the friend that always had their back, and a son!!!! I'll admit rate now that it's both, and I know that and I don't care I either want a treatment or not a life like this!!! I just had sex for the first time since and it was terrible, I haven't left my house to party since summer because I feel out of place, and my friends don't talk to me any more, and I haven't seen two of my sisters maybe twice since my accident, what do I do if they call me for help say alright I'll get someone else to come get you or at least help me in my van? It's pathetic.

Now you taking me on a different subject I ask again do you try to fix the rotting (slow it down) keep in mind limited amount of money, do you forget about it, accept it, block it out?

I'm not smart enough to be good at anything paralyzed from the neck down down! I'm 20 and build certain principles, enjoyments, dreams, hobbies, skills they're not just going to change in adulthood.

What do you do now? You fight back and also work on a new profession, job, area of volunteerism. I was about 6 months from finishing my poli sci degree and taking our State Department's Foreign Service Officer test when I got my wake up call. FSOs cannot have any disability or illness even if completely under control by medication like diabetes type 2 and pills because a posting is more likely to see a new member to Mongolia on fact finding and cultural trips into the real boonies for months at a time. You have a problem with weaklings? For me it is cowards. Our government didn't immediately fire the FSOs who got orders to Iraq's green zone because younger members were found who would take their places. We fired an entire generation of air traffic controllers for less. It took me a long time to find what I really wanted to do but the chair ruled out any chance of it. I managed our investments and did PT instead.

Ok, maybe I just don't get the entertainment value of boxing and other combat sports. I mean does anyone really look up to Mike Tyson? But would you have made the grade? In boxing if you weren't golden gloves by now you would be out of any consideration for a pro career. There are hundreds of college football players trying to get into the NFL every year and the vast majority don't make it and go into other career fields and sports turn into a way to stay fit over the years. You are still young enough to do more in exploring your options career-wise. I mean you were in college for something. You need something with a bit less hands on work now. What other things appealed to you after you became too old to bash brains in and the younger ones coming up started bashing yours in? I think you are brighter than you know. And we all have areas we're not good at..we hire tutors if it is just something needed to pass a course in a degree program.

Accept this? The only people I know who have ever truly accepted this met Jesus in the ER. I wasn't one of them. Trials are beginning to see start up dates. Get healthy and as strong as you can. Weaklings do not survive very long in our situation. BTW, hiding in the house? Weak. Go to a movie once a week all winter. I dare you. Physio doesn't count. Find a trainer closer to you or start talking to the independent living people and move to the city.

Coward eh, I'm completely terrified to live 60 years in a chair more than anything absolutely I'll admit that happily because I'm not ashamed to say I'm quite happy that living like this terrifies me Because it's not from pain, or the fear of death, it's the disgrace of being a burden and the procedures that are done to me Are completely undignified, any man should be a shamed of this especially if it was their own stupidity that did this to themselves. I wanted to join the military and work my way to the JTF2 as an assaulter if I couldnt get to the High paying pros of kick boxing.
    Id still maintain a fight record from the military then when I'm old and broken be a hand to hand combat trainer, open my own club. But all of that is gone now. Bo ho right We all lost. But I just see how hard it is for me watching my body fad away , when others seem, not bothered by it so I wanted to know how they do it it's not to benefit myself just curiosity.

Well, you can still get a business degree and open a club and hire and oversee the trainers. You can even work out there by adding some accessible equipment. I bet it would draw in some of the very none weak veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan too. Weakness and cowardly behavior are not apt descriptions when discussing disabilities. Google up Tammy Duckworth. It takes sheer guts to go out and fight a totally different enemy daily. We don't all feel we are just great with where are. We have learned to deal with it daily. That alone takes courage. It takes courage to go out to eat by yourself or even with family at a new place and ask the wait staff if the chef or cook could please cut our ribeyes beforehand for us. I dread clothes shopping because nothing looks good over a quad gut. Binders never helped and they left red marks. All courage is was best described by a character named Hawkeye. "Courage is when you are cold enough and hungry enough and tired enough to no longer care. That's what courage is." When you get tired of feeling demeaned and embarassed by bowel programs try sending your mind elsewhere during that time. I can handle almost every test going except EMGs because they leave me feeling exhausted and like I want to puke. While they're sticking needles in me I am walking through the Tulleries in Paris. Find your happy place and go there in your head.

You do not have to give up hope of a cure while continuing the rest of your life. Have you checked into YouTube and how different people get themselves up and to showers in the morning, dressed for home stuff, even drop themselves into their chairs. I understand from the many guys I know with them that a good looking service dog is a babe magnet. Sex will get better slowly but not with the one night stand types. You will need someone willing to learn what it takes to make you both happy. And if anyone is making you feel like a burden, well, do you want to be around them? Was whatever broke your neck your fault? If it was that you will need to make peace with it. Again, no one here loves the gimp life. But we do try to get and stay healthy while waiting for cures. I mean it about the movies or the library if you insist. Start setting small goals and going after them.