Thread: Walking

Walking

I know everyone is different,but I am ten months injured,and my question is: do people still get some walking return after this length of time?I have been laid up for some weeks with a pressure wound and obviously fear this is weakening my muscles.I can move both legs quite well,feet up and down strongly,bend knees and left quad is good.My abs and glutes are quite weak but I intend to hit the gym when I can get up!I' have a "banding" feeling around my core but am hoping exercise will help that.I am just hoping it is not too late for me.Hearing other peoples experiences would be greatly appreciated.

What's your injury level?

Some people do walk again each injury is different and each person as well. I don't want to get your hopes up. Hopefully someone else maybe even the sci nurse can chime in.

T12-L1 here and still getting some good return coming up on three years, but everyone is different. There is some empirical evidence that massive exercise is helpful, so that is what I do. You have to just make it a habit, if I'm chilling at the end of the day, I do isometric exercises on the couch. Just never stop exercising, it may help, but even if it really does not help with return, it will make you feel better. Do you have time during the day, or do you have a full time job? You can do some helpful exercises on a standing frame as well, and its great to be upright. Good luck.

Just started taking some steps at therapy with a high frame and a therapist occasionally holding my weaker right knee.Anyone know of a good way to strengthen it?!She says it is getting stronger but it doesn't feel like it yet!Im convinced the standing frame I've been using every day for the last three months has made a big difference for me strengthwise.Getting in the hydro pool soon so that should help too.Ive been injured 22 months,so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to whether significant gains can still be made?Thanks.

What I found is do NOT put a timeframe or worry about how long it will take. Every person is different. You just keep working at it instead of thinking Xtime, things begin to come together. It is very hard to describe how that works.

Hi Paul, my husband has the same level of injury as you, he's incomplete. He is 19 mos. post. He has had some difficult with his lower right leg healing from the accident. Both lower legs were broken. He has good movement on the right side but not much feeling. On the left side slower movement and intense feeling. Which they call Brown Sequard Sydrome. He works out everyday and since we live in a desert region, he has been able to get into the swimming pool. He lost most of his muscle strength during his recovery. He was non weight bearing for an extended time. He can walk with a walker short distances. Working on his balance and he can take a few steps on his own.
    Everyone is different as you know, just keep up the good work!! Keep a positive attitude!!
    We, also wanted to know of people with the same injury to know what is possible. We know that there are things that he will not be able to do, things that will take longer to do and things he will do differently.
    Best to you!

Hello Paul et all,
    I posted a question about how much exercise and how often is appropriate for a person for a person recovering from non traumatic sci.

I was unable to walk for about 5 months after a massive ischaemic attack but now can walk 4 years on. Actually I cycle far better than walking.

I still cannot come up with a rule of thumb for what exercise, how much and how often it should be and also if healing ceases in a fatigue state.

In the early stages, the physios told me not to bother too much about walking as I was too far gone! Asia B initially. Now I can walk outdoors about 500m to 1km without a stick over rough ground with a stick/ six months ago I had a stick, 12 months ago only over smooth ground2 years ago, with 2 sticks and so on.

IDK what your current status is, but man you've regained a lot of movements in the initial 10 months. How about now? Are you able to walk?