Thread: Fampyra/Ampyra/dalfampridine in Australia?

Fampyra/Ampyra/dalfampridine in Australia?

I would like to obtain Ampyra / Fampyra / 4-AP / dalfampridine for my son but it's not licensed here in Hong Kong. We got a prescription from a Hong Kong doctor who is also licensed to practice in Australia. We both had believed this medicine to be available in Australia -- on private prescription only -- but the friend who tried to fill the prescription was told that it is not. Has anyone here ever bought this drug in Australia?

It's been available there since May 2011 - Canada was only a week earlier in getting it. It's made for MS so acquiring it would be off-label. Try another, bigger pharmacy.

Thanks so much lynnifer. Will keep trying.

I contacted Multiple Sclerosis Research Australia to find out if this product really is available in Australia. They replied that it has been approved and available on private prescription since May 2011. I then asked another friend in Canberra to ask about it at a pharmacy. She was told that it is not available FOR SALE IN PHARMACIES -- meaning perhaps that only hospitals can dispense it? Has anyone in Australia ever used / bought this drug? Would very much appreciate any information -- thanks in advance.

Biogen Idec distributes it outside of the US. Try here: http://www.biogenidec.com/contact_us.aspx?ID=5973 .. and scroll to Australia's contact info. I had to have a little phone interview and they arranged it with my pharmacy and employer's insurance. They asked if I had MS - I said I had Transverse Myelitis - a one shot MS episode, basically. They let me in.

Thanks Lynnifer -- ill contact them direclty.

Although I doubt they will speak to me -- they have already told me that they are unable to discuss off-label use with prospective individual patients.