Thread: Advantages of Central Pain

Advantages of Central Pain

Spinal surgical pain rarely rises above my CP baseline torture. Gave me a pile of Vics for pain, took them twice first two days when spasms pulled the stitches CP 11 spinal surgery 2. LOL

ket

Did anything the LRRP & Sniper work way back ever give you the tools to deal with this kind of pain? I remember early on when the neuro pain in my thighs showed up that I actually had druggy dreams about the Code of Conduct. I woke up in the middle of the night a few times wondering how I could take out that one sadistic night nurse and get the pain meds in her cart to share with my quad lunch group. BTW, a belated Happy Veterans Day and mucho respect on the MOS.

Hey Ket I know what you mean. When my stomach stops, and the food and stomach acid just sits there for a long time, I forget all about my neuro pain. What a life.

Hi Sue,

God that was so many lives and reinventions ago. Feeling like an old fart. My operational group dwindles and this year I missed Vets Day. LRRP, Scout Sniper may have been easier back then, not sure, it started to fall apart post WWII then had a resurgence, but technically I was attached to intelligence, spec/black ops. no tags, no typical DD 214. but honestly while some think I did something exotic I was primarily a highly trained specialized long range hunter, low productivity as some assignments were 100 klicks after insertion and took a long time in, positioning, execution, and back for extraction. basically an extremely specialized grunt.

By the time I hit the farm, lejune and quantico I had multiple black belts in martial arts and trained for the company, I credit Chinese Sil Lum /Shaolin with the mental disciplines that can help with pain for a while, e.g mentally processing pain as another sensation like pressure, but when at a true 10, I essentially go semi-conscious and scream, puke etc. Until then I can hold it together. Additionally the Japanese arts and teachers taught me compartmentalization, essentially walling off a body section, so I can excise fragmentation, bullet and pack/stitch in non nerve plexus areas but CP cover to much body area to manage this. On a good day it helps. Both taught breathing.

My initial long rifle training was courtesy of my uncle a WWII marine sniper, after outshooting all my family, all avid marksmen, women, my mother being just behind my grandfather both exceptional. In fact I did not know uncle bill could shoot, to me he was a fisherman, and until Grampa talked to him I never saw him with a rifle. His intro for me was to shoot tacks, literally at 100 yds, progressing out to about 500yds, scarey. Spent a summer with him, learning serious shooting. So I was better prepared, but man things had changed since uncle bill was in. We still didn't have the toys they have now Barrett, Lapua, ..., I had a Remington 700 7.62 / .308 but instead of my personal rack one, had it fitted, with an 8x unertl scope with my rounds made for me. now the toys, the toys.

on topic though, breathing, settling, and stillness under duress were reinforced over and over during school and still helpful.

ahh the nurses/docs. Being special I had nice private accommodations. ...only 16? 24 of us in the ward when I took the mortar hit, and Christ if I could have moved I would have killed the nurse for the morphine on more than one occasion.

btw I'll post on tha main board, had my post op yesterday and did incredibly well but am pissed. And net, there is consideration by the neurosurgeon that I may be more responsive to treatments than I have been, so for the first time in a LOOOONG time I have hope.

Thanks for looking in

Kindly,

ket

I have no mental discipline...