Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband new SCI

Husband new SCI

My husband was injured 3/13/13 in a car/pedestrian accident. He is finally home from rehab. Going through out-patient rehab. Trying to learn was much as I can. This site has been very useful.
    It's been a roller coaster ride and there are so many unanswered questions. His discharge papers from the rehab states: C8 Asia C tetraplegia. neurogenic Bladder/Bowel. He also has a fused L3.
    We've been told that the muscle movement he will regain up to 4 months post injury is all he'll regain. Right now he has little finger movement in left hand and barely any grasp. Right hand has more movement and strength.
    In rehab he has stood and walked with a platform walker with his feet wrapped. hasn't the ability to flex. He was non-weight bearing on his legs up until May 15. So he is working hard at regaining muscle.
    He is doing good for the most part at keeping his spirit up but the pain seems to exhaust him.

I am c7 complete and have about half the use of my hands. The hands came back over several years. Plus I got better at adapting to the partial function.

Sorry to hear you all experienced this but it sounds like he has a lot to work with already. Good luck and be patient.

Welcome PBing, though under very hard circumstances.. I can't answer any of your questions, but want you to know that you have come to the right place.

The first year or two are the toughest, and just hang in there with trying to get information.

All my best to you both.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by PBing View Post
    My husband was injured 3/13/13 in a car/pedestrian accident. He is finally home from rehab. Going through out-patient rehab. Trying to learn was much as I can. This site has been very useful.
    It's been a roller coaster ride and there are so many unanswered questions. His discharge papers from the rehab states: C8 Asia C tetraplegia. neurogenic Bladder/Bowel. He also has a fused L3.
    We've been told that the muscle movement he will regain up to 4 months post injury is all he'll regain. Right now he has little finger movement in left hand and barely any grasp. Right hand has more movement and strength.
    In rehab he has stood and walked with a platform walker with his feet wrapped. hasn't the ability to flex. He was non-weight bearing on his legs up until May 15. So he is working hard at regaining muscle.
    He is doing good for the most part at keeping his spirit up but the pain seems to exhaust him.
    Hello "PBing,"
    Welcome to the Care Cure Community. As is often said here, in one form or another, we are sorry for your husband's injury, but very glad you have found this website. There is a ton of information here and many people who will share their experiences and be very helpful.

As a care giver you may want to contact:

Obieone: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/member.php?u=6941
    or
    Kate: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/member.php?
    u=10155

Obie and Kate are the Moderators for the Private Caregiver's Forum on this website. You may enjoy the camaraderie of other caregivers on this forum.

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

DON'T believe what they tell you about the return at 4 months being all that he'll get. People regain function well past that frequently so continue hitting rehab hard. Sorry for the reason that you've found us but glad that you have found us as a resource.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Where is he going for rehab? Who said 4 months was "it"??

Research and the scientific literature support those with initially incomplete injuries like this (Central cord syndrome it appears) usually continue with some return of function for 24 months or more. Keep in mind that the return he gets is not up to his hard work, but what he does with the return that occurs is. He should get ongoing therapy to help him maximize the return that does occur.

Get him on-line and encourage him to become an active member of our community here. He will find a lot of others who have been through the same process.

The Caregivers private forum is very helpful, but I believe you must have at least 30 posts elsewhere on the forums to qualify for membership. Check with Obione.

(KLD)

Thank you for all the encouraging comments. The timeline of 4 months was regarding muscle movement. And it was stated by his Dr. but seemed to be different than what I'm reading here.
    He is getting out-patient rehab twice a week, they are looking into getting him a brace for his left leg due to a torn ACL, PCL, MCL and Meniscus.
    I guess I need to realize it has been a short time since the accident and the body needs time to heal and repair.
    I will check out the caregivers forum.
    Thank you again for the encouragement.

I would echo what others have said about the 4 months timetable you've been given--don't believe it. My husband is nearly 2 years out from his injury (T5, ASIA B) and he's still getting things back, though most of that, I think, is a result of continuing outpatient PT for this entire time period. I'm not sure that he would have realized, for example, that some of his ab muscles were back without having a PT who constantly pushed him. That being said, I think recovery is about finding a balance--not everyone can work out several hours a day for endless months. You have to find what works for you and your husband.

I will say that it gets better--you find a new normal and adapt to the changed circumstances. Make sure you take care of yourself during these early months, too. And not just because your husband needs you (I always hated it when people told me that I should take care of myself because my husband needed me in "top form"), but because you are important and are deserving of care, too.

This place is a wonderful resource, and a great place to vent, ask questions, and just do some basic research.

Best of luck to you and your husband as you navigate these early few months.

PBing

It sounds like your husband is making good progress. The right types of activities/exercises may help increase the chances of further recovery. Make sure you check out the Exercise/Recovery forum for more ideas.

Snowman, PBing has not visited here since early October, so not sure they will see your message, and of course this is an old thread (last previous post was in August).

(KLD)