Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW DOES EVERYONE AVOID DESTROYING THEIR FRIENDS HOMES WHEN VISITING?

HOW DOES EVERYONE AVOID DESTROYING THEIR FRIENDS HOMES WHEN VISITING?

Try as hard as I might it never fails that whenever I am visiting someone I will end up cutting a corner too sharp or misjudging a doorway and my chair will scrape up or n some way mess up the door jambs and baseboards and occasionally even the walls at my friends homes, and I end up feeling really bad about it. I have destroyed my own home as well, but I can deal with that because it is mine. Is there anything that can be done short of not entering into other peoples homes that anyone can suggest ti avoid the damages that they cause with their chairs?

Can you warn them ahead of time of the "turning radius" you need to navigate when you visit a home? Maybe they will stock up on cans of matching paint if they are fussbudgets about nicks and scratches.
    Please....do not stop visiting folks.....they want to see you.

You just have to move around slower and more carefully in your friends' homes. Same with close public spaces like stores (all those display racks) and hotel rooms.

(KLD)

Just slow down. Be a bit more careful and, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed or, in doubt.

I'm just very careful when in someone else's home. I don't wheel normally, I go slowly and cautiously. At home I crash in to things every day, I don't know a way around that because I don't live in a wheelchair accessible home. Don't I wish. I'd love to be able to use the kitchen and wash the dishes without leaning, reaching, crashing and scraping things up. On a visit to someone else's place I go slow.

I try to go slow, and even went so far as to remove my hand rims to make my chair narrower, but I still run into door jams occasionally and it really bothers me.

It was never much of an issue when I was in my manual chair and had precise control. However, with my Permobil it is a different story. I just do not move around much. Our doors and walls have really suffered since I began using it. At friends, I move around much less than I used to.

So basically just slow down . Ive tried this, but have now been allowed into my wife house for over 2 yawns now because she thinks that I caused damage intentionally

Holy resurrected thread! Are you still having problems with that? Has anyone said something to you? If not, just go about what you know you can do, and don't worry about it.
    Lust my two cents.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Holy resurrected thread! Are you still having problems with that? Has anyone said something to you? If not, just go about what you know you can do, and don't worry about it.
    Lust my two cents.
    Actually, yes I am no longer allowed in my wife's house, ever, and although not because of the chair necessarily I really have no friends and am essentially alone in this world.