Thread: Stress Incontinence

Stress Incontinence

If you have this problem, what have you done to help prevent/solve your problem? Have you tried bulking agents? Deflux? Uroplasty?

Have you tried the Sling?

What was the result? Any complications?

Thank you for your experience/comments

Can you provide a little more information like when the stress incontinence started? how you manage your bladder currently? do you have a urologist you have discussed this with?
    pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Can you provide a little more information like when the stress incontinence started? how you manage your bladder currently? do you have a urologist you have discussed this with?
    pbr

It started almost immediately after my injury (10 years ago). The incontinence is not bad enough for me to wear protective undergarments every day but I HAVE TO when I play wheelchair basketball. Sometimes it gets really bad when I twist in my chair. I do have a urologist but I'm waiting for an appointment. I posted this thread to get some opinions and hopefully some feedback from other members.

There are definitely options out there that could work for you. How do you manage your bladder? Do you take any medications? Have you had urodynamics done and what did they say?
    CKF

I know a lot of guys who play wheelchair sports that have the same problem, ie leaking in a sports chair, whether from being strapped in, seating position, upper body mobility, etc. Many just end up wearing a condom cath and bag for collection.. most tend to agree this is a much better alternative than sitting in it and dealing with the smell. Game goes into over-time, no big deal providing the bag's not full.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    There are definitely options out there that could work for you. How do you manage your bladder? Do you take any medications? Have you had urodynamics done and what did they say?
    CKF

I cath intermittenly. I had a urodynamics test last year and the results were normal but I don't remember what he said. Ideally, I would like to reduce the amount of leaking when I twist in my chair. What are my options?

I thought of that but I don't like the idea of the bag spilling or the bag over-flowing. Or the tube coming loose or or or.... too many what ifs.

You should look at your fluid intake and when you drink versus when you cath. If you start the day with an empty bladder, know roughly how long you can go before it becomes too much for your bladder to handle. That will vary from person to person. If you are worried about it in certain situations, I would encourage you to look into a condom catheter with a leg bag. There are a variety of products out there that can do the trick. Many companies will give you samples to try until you find one that you like and works.
    CKF