Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Brand New Car that I can transfer into? What model?

I'm a T4 with rods from T4-T10 and I have a lot of issues with trying to transfer. It seems that my legs or hips try to sabotage my transfers. I'm not weak in the upper body but still cannot make a smooth transfer like I see others do. I'm still working on it.

The transit connect looked good but the B-max doesn't have the b pillar which is perfect to help bring the chair in.

You'll do good eventually. And forget about the non-board he-man transfers. So much easier with a long board hooked on a wheel and the other end on the car seat. Might save on the shoulders too. I know what you mean about legs and hips...those times that the body makes leg and hip tone develop make my transfers rather, umm, stiff.

This is the advert here in Europe for the B-Max:
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

This is kind of interesting too:
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks Andy
    I think we need to petition Ford

Quote Originally Posted by ResonantEcho View Post
    My last two cars have been Ford Fusions (2006 and 2013). Both are easy to transfer and put wheelchair in and out of. I put my wheels and cushion in the floorboard behind the passenger seat. The wheelchair behind them in back passenger seat.
    amazingly enough, the fusion was a lot roomier than the Taurus, i was not able to transfer into the Taurus but easily into the Fusion. I Had shortlisted the Fusion and the VW Passat as options except i cld not get the chair in.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Maybe the Volkswagen Variant (Estate) which has pretty good leg room in the front. I think other options like the Mazda 5 and the Opel (Vauxhall) Minerva that have side doors will be similar to the Ford B-Max for the height, but maybe it's worth checking.
    Thank you for the pointers, will check and see if those models are available here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    T6, 6'3" and maybe 230lbs here. TiLite TR 18x18 and 21front, 17rear sized chair here. Dodge Challenger, I think they sell Chrysler stuff where you are at?...

Now that is cool, a pillarless minivan. That would be perfect for what I want to do for a functional vehicle...no pillar getting in the way of entry and tossing the chair in the side. And room to actually haul stuff! I suspect something like that would never pass USA safety regulations, but one can hope.
    yes Challengers are available, never tried getting into one, always thought the roof was too low but will try now that i have seen the video. Thanks

There are multiple options for AWD but the most important information that helps is to know your injury level and ability to tranfer and stabalize yourself. I am a T8 complete and I drive an AWD Honda CR-V. It is a smaller SUV so it allows less height for transfers but it is still a jump up. When alone I can dismantle and put my frame in the seat next to me with tires in back (this took some time to do as I had some issues with balance initially). If someone is with my whole chair fits in the back hatch fully assembled. I have used a tilite aero r which I found to be the most difficult chair to put in. Right now I use the aero z which is better but is still heavy and not szed properly. I have found the tilite tr to be the best for me so I actually have an aero t with a titanium upgrade being made now which is fairly close to the tr. I say all this to say that it is important to test putting chairs in a vehicle before purchasing either to make sure it fits your needs and requirements.

I have a question. Looking for AWD what does everyone do with a wheelchair covered in snow and slush. I really don't want to bring that across my body. what does everyone else do in winter?