Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Brand New Car that I can transfer into? What model?

I drive a Ford Edge right now. I'm tall and an adept transfer-er but it's rough for me. It's huge. If I have someone with me I have them help me put the chair in the back but if I'm alone I do it myself. I do not have an SCI - I have CP and a neuro condition similar to MS. When I'm alone I transfer to the trunk an sit there and then lift the chair up and put it in that way. Then I use crutches or the car to lean on and make my way to the divers seat. I can lift mine (TiLite ZRA) in full with the wheels. It's pretty heavy for a TiLite and assembled it's around 30lbs. I can't do the over the head into the passenger seat thing. I've tried and every time I end up stuck under the chair until someone rescues me. That walk around my car is the only time I walk and my OT's/PTs don't want me doing it because of safety but I can't get my chair in any other way...I'm working on getting a van now.

I wanted to add that also used to drive a Ford Fiesta and that was a GREAT car. It's tiny but the trunk is perfect manual chair size (with wheels off and back folded) and it's nice and low and easy for transfers. I am a para-dressage rider though and I just couldn't haul all my horse stuff around in ti and I ultimately had to get something bigger, sadly. It doesn't have AWD but I really recommend it for someone looking for a good little car in a lower price point!

I am 1.5 years post injury, complete para T3/T4, 6 foot 2, 210 lbs, use a Tilite ZRA with arm rests and safety wheels and looking at purchasing a new car as I can't transfer to my Jeep Commander without help. I did the rounds but seem unable to find a car with enough space for me to pull my chair in through the driver's seat.

My ZRA is bigger than the standard size bcs of my long legs. It seems awkward to see bigger framed people transferring and pulling their chairs in on youtube.

Thought of purchasing a smaller chair but not sure that's the solution and how comfortable that's gonna be.

What about a Ford B-Max where you can put the chair in behind you with the easy access doors. I'm not sure if it is available in the UAE yet, but it is available in most of Europe. The only problem I see with it is closing the back door, but maybe there is a solution available for that.

This photo shows it with a Turnout BIS swivel seat:
    Name:  turnout-bis_ford-bmax2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  376.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Yas View Post
    I am 1.5 years post injury, complete para T3/T4, 6 foot 2, 210 lbs, use a Tilite ZRA with arm rests and safety wheels and looking at purchasing a new car as I can't transfer to my Jeep Commander without help. I did the rounds but seem unable to find a car with enough space for me to pull my chair in through the driver's seat.

My ZRA is bigger than the standard size bcs of my long legs. It seems awkward to see bigger framed people transferring and pulling their chairs in on youtube.

Thought of purchasing a smaller chair but not sure that's the solution and how comfortable that's gonna be.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thank you for the picture. I have not seen this model here in the UAE but it looks like it would be too high for me to transfer to.

Maybe the Volkswagen Variant (Estate) which has pretty good leg room in the front. I think other options like the Mazda 5 and the Opel (Vauxhall) Minerva that have side doors will be similar to the Ford B-Max for the height, but maybe it's worth checking.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

My last two cars have been Ford Fusions (2006 and 2013). Both are easy to transfer and put wheelchair in and out of. I put my wheels and cushion in the floorboard behind the passenger seat. The wheelchair behind them in back passenger seat.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Yas View Post
    I am 1.5 years post injury, complete para T3/T4, 6 foot 2, 210 lbs, use a Tilite ZRA .
    T6, 6'3" and maybe 230lbs here. TiLite TR 18x18 and 21front, 17rear sized chair here. Dodge Challenger, I think they sell Chrysler stuff where you are at?...

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    What about a....]
    Now that is cool, a pillarless minivan. That would be perfect for what I want to do for a functional vehicle...no pillar getting in the way of entry and tossing the chair in the side. And room to actually haul stuff! I suspect something like that would never pass USA safety regulations, but one can hope.

why can't they sell that B-max here. Its totally what I need.

Andy do you have core muscles?

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    why can't they sell that B-max here. Its totally what I need.

Andy do you have core muscles?
    Yeah, really, eh? Take a look at that new generation Transit Connect. I've seen a few on the road and it looks like the long wheelbase version might be pretty good. Looks low, but not tiny. I still have yet to go to the dealer to see it in person, but in theory and pictures...might be something.

No core muscles at all. But rods from T2-12, so that might be something useful, hinge down low-ish?