Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Brand New Car that I can transfer into? What model?

Looking for a Brand New Car that I can transfer into? What model?

I am five years post injury, and have used an electric lift ever since I was injured because I had a manual assist chair. (very heavy wheels) Now since I not going to be rolling around campus I am looking to get something lighter. What all wheel drive car do you recommend? <this is a must. Also how much do your frames weigh? thanks
    Dylan

I recommend a two door/coupe in whatever strikes your fancy. My daily driver is a 2006 VW Golf GTI (AFAIK still available in R32/AWD). As long as I don't carry passengers (which requires getting the chair into the rear seat, which is quite do-able but a bit of a PITA) it is very easy to transfer me and chair into quickly.
    In fact, it is much more accessible than "General Grant", our 87 MB 560SEL "goin to meetin" behemoth whose door doesn't open as far as the Golf and whose door pillar is too far forward when pulling off the outer wheel.

I drive a 2011 3 series bmw sedan. I have a Tilite TR3 which weighs 28 lbs fully assembled with my backpack and cushion. I put the wheels in the backseat and put the frame in the passenger's seat.

How actually necessary is AWD for you? This can limit your choices of many fine vehicles with this requirement.

AWD is fantastic. My daily driver is an 2005 Subaru Outback.

Subaru has some great AWD cars, and would be worth a look.

im a Volvo wagon guy. recommended by swim crankpush here on CC............ we stuff everything thing in. we can get my hc, chair, 2 sets wheels suitcase and trainer in. when just us and my chair it goes in back wheels on. Volvo is releasing a new v60 waGon for 2014. been in Europe for several years looks fantastic.

My wife drives the Volvo wagon! when we go out together, she throws the complete chair in the back. I drove a high mileage turbo wagon for several years before buying my first new car, the 06 GTI with DSG sequential gearbox, and never looked back. About four wheel drive: we live on Schooleys mountain and the normal access route is up a steep set of switchbacks that would never be done today. although my shop specializes in Audi/VW (www.philscars.com) and has a dealers license, I don,t feel any need to drive a Quattro. We have sets of mounted high profile snows on smaller diameter wheels, and choose high performance European style such as Nokian Hakkapulita or Bridgestones blizzaks. This type of tire in this fitment is pretty amazing, especially with modern traction-control! I've never been stuck, and I'm quite the risk taker!

thanks for the replies, I am looking into a new Subaru Forrester...they have alot of room to transfer, big space to swing the wheelchair in, and the have a pretty good track record

BMW 335xi here. Bug doors are super easy to get into and the backseat is big enough tot throw the chair in if I have a passenger. Plus, add a chip and it's 400HP. I've had subarus in the past (pre-injury) and they were great cars but the xdrive and bmw traction control is better.

What's a bug door?