Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looking for a Brand New Car that I can transfer into? What model?

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I have a question. Looking for AWD what does everyone do with a wheelchair covered in snow and slush. I really don't want to bring that across my body. what does everyone else do in winter?
    I keep a towel on my drivers side and wipe off the wheels quick before bringing them over my body. There arent too many other options. I do keep a tarp covering back seat and floor to keep it nice inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I have a question. Looking for AWD what does everyone do with a wheelchair covered in snow and slush. I really don't want to bring that across my body. what does everyone else do in winter?
    I drive a Ford F150 Raptor Extended Cab (any extended cab Ford or Gm truck will work). My Quickie Xenon folds up and sits behind driver seat with room to spare. No pulling chair or wheels across my body or seat. Leaves passenger side front and back seat open for 2 passengers. Wouldn't be able to do that with a solid frame chair though. Good luck!
    Last edited by BriRi; 09-04-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: punctuation correction

Quote Originally Posted by jkbenny View Post
    I drive a Ford Edge right now. I'm tall and an adept transfer-er but it's rough for me. It's huge. If I have someone with me I have them help me put the chair in the back but if I'm alone I do it myself. I do not have an SCI - I have CP and a neuro condition similar to MS. When I'm alone I transfer to the trunk an sit there and then lift the chair up and put it in that way. Then I use crutches or the car to lean on and make my way to the divers seat. I can lift mine (TiLite ZRA) in full with the wheels. It's pretty heavy for a TiLite and assembled it's around 30lbs. I can't do the over the head into the passenger seat thing. I've tried and every time I end up stuck under the chair until someone rescues me. That walk around my car is the only time I walk and my OT's/PTs don't want me doing it because of safety but I can't get my chair in any other way...I'm working on getting a van now.
    This is exactly what I do, also against advice, also with fully assembled TiLite ZRA! I have incomplete paralysis from neurosarcoidosis, progressive demyelinating process similar to MS plus other stuff... I drive a Honda Element, no longer made but a great car due to versatility of seat configuration. If I remove wheels, it is easy to load chair behind driver seat with doors that open from center. But easier now for me to tip casters up on tailgate and "roll" the chair (literally!) into the back. There are even built-in hooks to secure the chair with bungees, as well as locking wheels. I don't have to lift much weight at all. To remove chair, I do a controlled drop while leaning back against tailgate. Driver seat in Element is very easy to get in and out of, and hand controls fit easily next to console--right of steering wheel. I have Veigle hand controls, which I love. If you find a used one with low mileage, might be worth considering?