Thread: Heart rate monitor advice needed

Heart rate monitor advice needed

Here is my situation: I am going off my medication for atrial fibrillation. I need to monitor my heart rate regularly. What would be ideal is a monitor that I can wear for most of the day and has an alarm that I can set to alert me if my heart rate reaches 110. I have Googled them and there are many out there that have alarms but I am not sure about wearabilty issues since I will be wearing it for longer times than exercise routines usually take. Any suggestions? I thought I would get more responses here than in the Equipment Forum.

Is an ablation not possible? I had a-fib issues that would not go away and finally found an electrophisologist (sp) who scheduled a procedure that essentially rewires the faulty heart signals causing the problems. This was in 1969 (edited: 2009) just before I got on medicare, so that may have made a difference. I hope not.

Edited to change that the ablation called a MAZE procedure was in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise
    Is an ablation not possible? I had a-fib issues that would not go away and finally found an electrophisologist (sp) who scheduled a procedure that essentially rewires the faulty heart signals causing the problems. This was in 1969 (edited: 2009) just before I got on medicare, so that may have made a difference. I hope not.

Edited to change that the ablation called a MAZE procedure was in 2009.
    At this point the magnitude of my problem is uncertain. I was diagnosed with AF about a year ago when I was being treated for pneumonia in a hospital. With medication I have not had a hint of an episode since that time. The question we are trying to resolve is whether or not I have a chronic problem or whether the incident was brought on by stresses related to pneumonia, some of the meds being used to treat it, etc. My wife had a very successful ablation for atrial flutter so I am aware of the procedure.

I have been using heart rate monitors for about thirty years for exercise, and I have found that if the strap is not too tight that it causes little discomfort. Unfortunately, this often leads to inaccurate readings. Electrode gel like http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Electr.../dp/B0002CA8RQ helps.

I have never had a heart rate monitor that didn't occasionally, at least on one bike ride per month, give bad readings. The unit that I am using now, a Garmin, will go over 200 beats per minute, either due to poor contact or low batteries. Sometimes I am in a hurry when I use it.

Thanks cajun. Every bit of info helps.