Thread: 'Jaw-dropping' breakthrough hailed as landmark in fight against hereditary diseases

'Jaw-dropping' breakthrough hailed as landmark in fight against hereditary diseases

For the first time, scientists are able to engineer any part of the human genome with extreme precision using a revolutionary new technique called Crispr, which has been likened to editing the individual letters on any chosen page of an encyclopedia without creating spelling mistakes. The landmark development means it is now possible to make the most accurate and detailed alterations to any specific position on the DNA of the 23 pairs of human chromosomes without introducing unintended mutations or flaws, scientists said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...n-8925295.html

If they can manipulate DNA in any way they wish I would imagine creating cells to repair the spinal cord or having it grow to repair itself would be no problem.

First they need to find the genes that promote growth versus the current ones people older than 3 have that stop growth. Well, 3 is for myelin the rest stop growing at around birth. This is why researchers are talking about SOX3 and PTEN. I was rather surprised when I first heard about the genetic approach but it makes perfect sense.