Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to adjust the axle height on Tilite TR ?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Is there a way to adjust the axle height on Tilite TR ?

Is anyone familiar or faced the same problem and arrived at good solution?
    The adjustment on the TR allows the axle to move in one direction... front to back, allowing for CoG adjustment, but no up and down adjustment should you need to adjust the angle of the seat pan.

I've changed the rear height due to changing tires and want to adjust things back again. My old Quickie GT had a nifty way to adjust the axle height.

Wondering if anyone figured a way around this?

Seriously thinking of fabricating an adjustable joint if there isn't an easy way out.

You can mount the axle tube either above or below the frame tube. It's a pretty radical height difference but it's an option.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    yeah two settings :) LOW/HIGH

I need about another inch I am guessing. Doomed to have to fabricate my own :(

I am curious, how will you do that? I've always wanted some milling equipment at home but I don't have it. Going to use off-the-shelf parts, extras from other chairs?

Hi! NW-Wil and grommet,

I tried it by myself. In terms of height, it worked. My (used) TR is 18" high and I was able to make it into 15.5" high (which is good height for me) through the way you discussed.

Two problems were revealed, though.

1. Caster angle was changed as a result from 90 degree to about 80-85 degree (I did not measure) so front wheel did not reach the floor sometimes. This seems to happen because the center of gravity was affected. Back rest angle was also changed to more than 90 degrees.

2. I found that the axle supporting bracket has to stand both my weight and chair weight. So I was afraid that the bracket would collapse or crack. I am very light (113 pounds only). Thus, the bracket seems sturdy enough, I don't know.

I did not fully feel comfortable so I moved back the axle below the tube. But it is worth of trying again.

My current chair, which is a second hand one) is 18" high (rear) and 20" high (front) but right height for my body seems 16" (rear) and 18" (front). Thus, I don't put a cushion for temporary solution but need to find a way.
    Last edited by jungsik; 10-27-2015 at 11:21 PM.

What do you think of problem # 2. Do you think that the axle supporting bracket is strong enough for my weight?

I ordered 1" thick cushion just in case that I will keep my chair as it is now. I cannot use a thicker cushion for my chair because my seating points gets too high.

Quote Originally Posted by jungsik View Post
    What do you think of problem # 2. Do you think that the axle supporting bracket is strong enough for my weight?

I ordered 1" thick cushion just in case that I will keep my chair as it is now. I cannot use a thicker cushion for my chair because my seating points gets too high.
    I would do it after studying the photos found on line *if* I could fix the caster angle to vertical which it appears there is no way to do. If that were a ZRA or one of the other adjustables, no problem.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Oh! I did that because I tried and found I really liked honeycomb cushion and plan to buy multiple honeycomb cushions for the regular chairs I use, too. I have not used any sort of special cushions so far until I got a Stimulite cushion which came with the second hand wheelchair I bought recently. I thought any skin problem seriously (I had no significant skin problem) until I have developed a series of ulcers recently. Since I started using Stimulite cushion, they are gone. So, it I fix my current chair, I will probably use the 1" cushion for other regular chair. If I cannot fix my TR, I would use the cushion for it.

Yes the Stimulite cushions are great for changing elevations. I've got a bariatric(sp?) that I put under a contour for extra height and singleton sport when I need to be low.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

If the goal is more dump and have the rear wheels higher up on your body, the seat pan itself can drop an 1" or 2 by loosening the 10 screws on the seat pan. Next, pull apart the Velcro on the underside and relax it as much as you need, then tighten the screws again. Two benefits: a more comfortable ride and air cushion like the Roho cup will your butt and protect it better by concentrating more air in the centre of the cushion where you need it.

If you need to raise the ass end, you can play with wheel sizes and cushion heights.
    Last edited by fasdude; 10-28-2015 at 08:17 AM.