Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I had MS, I'd be excited over this!

If I had MS, I'd be excited over this!

http://www.healthline.com/health-new...unteers-091813
    [SIZE=12px]If successful, a new remyelinating antibody called rHIgM22 may help reverse nerve damage caused by MS.[/SIZE]

In a collaboration between the Mayo Clinic and Acorda Therapeutics, Inc., a “first-in-human” trial of the drug rHIgM22to repair nerve damage caused by multiple sclerosis (MS) is currently recruiting volunteers.
    Earlier animal studies of rHIgM22 showed improvements in motor activity, meaning a possible reversal of disability. If successful, this could be a groundbreaking achievement, particularly for those with progressive forms of MS, for which there are no treatments currently available.

How the Drug Works

In MS, the immune system targets myelin, the fatty covering that insulates nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, and destroys it. The body’s imperfect attempt to repair the damage leaves scar tissue, or “plaques,” in place of myelin. These plaques are less effective at transmitting signals between nerves, sometimes halting the signals altogether. When signals from the brain to the rest of the body are interrupted, disability results ...

This could, if effective, be used on SCI also. This is great not just MS.

I figured ... but plaque is involved. I have great hopes for Transverse Myelitis sufferers (me!) but not so sure on SCI ... I wonder?

It is great to see something this promising
    pbr

When an SCI occurs, several lose their myelin but the nerve cell is intact. That is w hy I think it would have application for us.

Brought to you by Acorda! There are trial sites here from California to New York to Seattle: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...Acorda&rank=12

But none in Iowa. Damn.

Phase I .. if successful they'll expand next year.

[SIZE=15px]Hi Jennifer, we are only taking patients from our own clinic because this is a Phase I safety trial. There is only 1 exposure to drug and we are gradually increasing doses to find tolerable doses to study in the next phase. If this one is successful the Phase II study will have more sites and will start looking at efficacy. Currently the studies are only open to those with diagnosed MS.[/SIZE]

lynnifer? What am I missing? It seems to me that the only real difference between TM and MS is you've got one big scar around your spinal cord and I've got a couple little ones pushing here and there. If that's true, are we looking at another instance where the medical community has labeled the symptoms without identifying the underlying disease?

Out of curiosity, have you ever been to www.cpnhelp.org ?

No idea and no. The difference between TM and MS is that the 'plaque' or 'scar' appears on your brain AND spinal cord. Mine is solely on the spinal cord at T-11. A lot of my info came second-hand as docs talked to my parents and didn't explain the science to me. Haven't dealt with a doc for almost 30yrs in dealing with TM ... just docs about complications from paralysis.

I'm so impressed with Fampyra and instantly became a fan of CEO Ron Cohen and Acorda. I saw him speak over a decade ago in London ON and thought he was full of horse-pucky but I was way wrong. Let's see if they can do this again. Phase I should be finished by September 2014 according to the clinicaltrials.gov site.

From what little I understand - Transverse Myelitis is like a singular episode of MS. I believe that's why a lot of these 'new' meds dealing with myelin will work as TM is a one-time demyelinating syndrome as well (though I'm confused as some claim to get TM a second time and others have it turn into MS). I'm not sure why we're so overlooked ... Johns Hopkins was supposed to start a trial with Fampyra and TM this Autumn. So few of us that I think we're just overlooked.