Thread: Protecting doors and door ledges

Protecting doors and door ledges

Hi there. I have just had all the doors and frames and skirting reprinted in the house. And now I want to find a way to protect them from my scraping them, damaging them and infuriating my better half. Any ideas? What are you guys using? Plexiglass? Plastic film? Chris

My feet are bigger than my pedals, so I use my toes as bumpers. No scratches, but maybe a little blood now and then.

Vinyl or Q grip push rims help soften the blow when you hit the door frame.

Blog Entries
    You need to get off your wheelchair and walk thru the door frames, otherwise I’ve not come up with anything to prevent wheel chair scrapes by protecting the home.
    However, I’ve succeeded in cushioning some of the more obtrusively mounted parts of the chair, i.e, headrest lock mechanism, and ends of the footrests.

I used long clear thin plexiglass four or 5 foot sheets, cut in 6 inch strips. I attach them to the walls starting above the floor molding and running along all of the passageways where I tend to scuff the walls. They are tasked with roundhead Phillips head screws about every 8 to 10 inches or so using two screws at the top and bottom at every attachment point. Since they are clear you can see the color of the wall behind it and they do a great job at protecting your walls. You can have shop cut the sheets for you by width and the length can be cut with a hack saw.

Do you have switch back hinges on your doors? They can give you a bit of width to doorways. It's a pain trying to keep from dinging up the living space in a chair.

http://www.amazon.com/HealthSmart-Ex.../dp/B0009STNNS