Thread: Power Chair back wheels keep falling apart

Power Chair back wheels keep falling apart

My husband uses his power chair (its older - JET 1) to venture down to the garage and manover on our property. Its kind of rough terrain I guess you could say - not exactly smooth pavement. We just replaced one of the back wheels and now after only a few weeks its in shreds. I need either a place to get quality wheels for it, or a place to get cheap wheels for it, and we'll just keep replacing . The ones we just got we paid about $60 for 2. Totally unacceptable if they are going to be so wimpy. The ones on the chair previously he had been using for 12 months after they finally fell apart. The PC is a crucial part of his existance, as he cannot do anything outside the home without it.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    They are 8 inch solid or foam filled tires/casters and the same size casters from other powechair manufacturers may fit. The width of the wheel and tire would need to fit between the caster forks and the axel size would need to be the same. Or you could buy almost any type of 8 inch casters of different widths with the forks included as long as the shaft will bolt into the chair base. The shafts are usually 5/8. They should and most do have bearings. Check ebay for them and front or rear casters will work.
    Pride Mobility does not make quality chairs so I am not surprised their parts are junk. I took me 7 years and lots of miles on rough roads to wear out the caster tires on my Omegatrac and the wheels are still perfect.

I've had good success buying wheels/tires on ebay for reasonable prices.

What happens to them, that they fall apart? Tires? Bearings? If they are 8x1 check http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=8%22+wheels
    Also check Grainger and just google 8 inch wheels

The back tires just fall apart . One at this moment is actually down to whatever is left under the foam part (the foam part gets a crack, and quickly starts getting larger, and eventually falls apart and falls off completely). he's running it with the under part now :) We've been looking at some other options that arent necessarily made for Wheel chairs .. it seems like the back wheels aren't as critical - the larger tires are brand new on it and are what really matter as far as tread and all. I'm actually kind of impressed with this piece of crap chair . We got it used and free as a donation, and he takes it places that power chairs were not meant to go- still going strong if the tires would just hold up :) !

Here is one source for parts for this wheelchair, which is really not designed for rough outdoor use like this...

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/jet11hd.html

(KLD)