Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel Routines

Bowel Routines

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted anything on here so bare with me if this is in the wrong place. I'm a quad..14 years...I need some feedback on what works for your bowel routines. I've been using senecot for years and years but it stopped working and the last while has made my bowels really crampy especially right after I'd finish a successful routine and it stopped softening my stool. So senecot is not an option anymore...I tried increasing the dose and taking it at different times...still no change. I do my routines twice a week in the evenings...mon and thurs with the aid of a rectal suppository just before. I started taking Metamucil the morning of my routines and it was working great for about 2 months...thought I found the perfect solution, but then I started getting more and more constipated...not sure where to go from here. I'm wondering what others do for your bowel management if it works great for you...tell me your routine if you don't mind. I eat very healthy...lots of salads and fresh fruit...never eat fast food. I don't understand why I'm even constipated.

Are you drinking enough water? Metamucil can sometimes get you into trouble (ie. too hard/constipated) if you don't drink enough.

Our gastroenterologist is also a fan of Miralax instead of senna.

Two days a week is a very poor bowel program. Most rehab centers recommend every other day. Some people get by with every two days.

It is a good idea to take dietary fiber supplements consistently every day with plenty of water. These supplements work to keep the the moisture content in the stool.

Docusate Sodium may be a better stool softener than senna for you.

What type of suppository are you using? Vegetable oil based suppositories like Ducolax can take a long time to melt and may not melt completely. A better option is Magic Bullet suppositories that are water based and melt quickly and thoroughly. Another option is Enemeez (http://www.enemeez.com/). These are known as mini enemas. The active ingredient is Docusate Sodium in Enemeez and Docusate Sodium and Benzocaine as a topical anesthetic in Enemeez Plus. You can get free samples of these products through the website.

It is important that stool in the rectal vault is removed before inserting the suppository. Don't insert the suppository into stool. You may have to use digital stimulation a couple of times to get a thorough bowel movement.

My program is every other night. I take Metamucil every morning and use a Magic Bullet suppository.

All the best,
    GJ

I drink lots of water and I do use magic bullet suppositories. I was going to try colace daily and see if that helps.

Recommend you change to daily or every other day .
    Don't recommend Metamucil as it can become a ball of laxative if you don't drink a lot of water. I would go back to the Senokot and do a more frequent bowel program. Have you tried the enemeez? this would be used instead of the suppository. www.enemeez.com
    Diet high in fiber. MIRALAX IF NEEDED
    CWO

Every other morning for 19 years. Enemeez is the " shit". Kind of expensive but worth it to me. Colace the night before. Knock on wood not a single accident in all this time. First few years I did it at night but for me the a.m. Is better get it over with and don't don't worry all day about having to poop.

If interested in trying, it replaces the suppository. They should send a couple of free samples. Use for atleast a week to decide.
    CWO

The keys to success when using Enemeez is getting the liquid up high enough in the rectal vault, near the wall. If you squirt the liquid into a mass of stool, you won't get good results. One of our members, Mombo has a special way of administering Enemeez and somewhere there is a thread that he posted some while ago. If I have time, I try to search through some old threads and post it later.

All the best,
    GJ

Start with going more often. The longer things sit up there the more water your intestines will draw out of it causing the constipation. And yea, senekot is pretty caustic stuff so if using it and switching to every other day don't fix things in a week or two then switch out the senekot for Miralax or start adding Colace for a week or two. Only try to change one thing at a time.

Im on a very strict routine for almost 30 yrs.now.I go every other evening using a magic bullet..in the morning at about 8:30 I take 1 or 2 colace and 2 senekot,,,hr or so later 1 magic cleanse from concepts in confidence they also sell the magic bullet. I eat my 3 daily meals at about the same time..1 or 2 days a week ill have for breakfast a shake that includes,1 yougurt,1/2 cup froz.blueberries,3 strawberries,1/2 frozen banna( I peel and freeze my bananas) 1/2 cup mango or orange juice and 1 heaping tablespoon of flax seed.,then drink...I like flax seed,it's a good protein and fiber,,I'll put it in yougurt or on cream of wheat...I eat fairly healthy and very little fast food..very little red meat as it doesn't digest well,,mostly chicken and fish..I hardly every have accidents..if I have a small bm ill eat just a lil less over next 2 days then ill have a decent one...good luck..